Chapter Nineteen

He took a moment to process the words that had come out of his mouth. For a tenth of a second, I saw fear cross his face, but he quickly wiped it away and hardened his expression. He responded back in anger. "Are. You. Pregnant. Wi-"

"No! Stop that! I know what you said. What the hell would possess you to EVER say something like that to me?!" I felt so angry that he thought that it was okay to talk to me like that. This was a first, and if this was how it was going to be when we fought, I wasn't going to have it.

But there was a part of me that was terrified at the thought of it though. Shit, what if I am pregnant?

"You're not denying it."

"No! I'm not pregnant! I would have to had sex with someone for that to happen, Eli." He rolled his eyes at me. "What is your problem?"

"You're lying to me about something!" He yelled at me. I flinched out of old habit. He had never talked to me like that. Ever.

I whimpered in response. This was not the Eli I knew. The Eli I knew was gentle and patient; he never raised his voice at me and he had never accused me of anything. Where was that Eli now? I needed that Eli.

I was also beginning to freak out about the fact that there was a possibility that I could have a child growing inside of me at the moment. I was trying my hardest not to panic, not to seem weak in front of him. If he saw me as weak, he might take advantage of it. "What happened to my Ellie?" I whispered more to myself than to him.

"He walked out the door when you started lying." He said, his voice quieter than before, but it was rough and closed off.

"Eli, I didn't do anything. I swear!" Xavier did. He's the one lying. My thoughts screamed at him. Tears were threatening to spill because I knew what was coming, but I held them back. I needed to be strong. He didn't believe anything I was telling him, because this was all my fault.

He shook his head, took another deep breath and, "Wren. This needs to stop."

My heart stopped beating. The tears that were caught in my eyes fell and my breath caught, "what does?" I asked, hoping he didn't mean it how I thought, but somewhere deep down I knew it was false hope.

"Us." He told me.

"No." My heart shattered and I couldn't see. The tears were blurring my vision. I could barely see him grab his things from beside the couch and walk towards the staircase, "I thought you were different. My mistake." I thought it was soft enough that he couldn't hear it, but I was wrong.

His voice cracked as if he had started crying too, "I'm sorry." He said before starting down the stairs.

"No, you're not."

He didn't care. He didn't care about me. This was my fault. I knew it. I knew it was a mistake to let my guard down and believe anything he said to me. I knew it, but I still did it. That was a mistake I would never make again. I cried for hours and hours, my sobs wracked through my body so forcefully. It felt like someone had pulled my heart out and tore it in half, then stomped on it as if it were a bug and tried to make the damaged half fit back in like it were still whole. The tears only ceased when a sudden thought crossed my mind. I could be pregnant!

Several curse words flew from my mouth as I wiped the tears from my face as best I could. I grabbed my wallet and car keys then rushed to my car. I sped to the grocery store and got there in record time. As I walked around, looking around for what I needed, I tried so hard to tell myself to stay calm and that everything was going to be okay. I was doing my best to maintain even breaths. After grabbing the item, I found my way to the self-checkout line. I quickly paid and rushed out of the store and back home.