- 14 -

Today was the day we put the plan into action. We arrived at our desired destination with the RV and two other vehicles. Daryl and I hopped out of one of our secondary vehicles as Rick barked some orders to the others to check our surroundings. The two of us helped hand out some of the guns, making sure they were loaded, and handing them out to everyone. In the distance I could see Rosita and Carol talking amongst themselves before Rosita walked off leaving Carol. The older woman looked to be conflicted about something as she pulled her cigarette from her lips and stomped it into the ground.

Once the perimeter was well check, we gathered up to discuss the plan. Daryl was sitting in the hood of the car while I stood to the side leaning against the tire. I still kept my distance from the others, lingering around Daryl as I listened to the others talk.

"We're gonna take a look around, try and get a feel for how many people are in there. We like how it looks, we go in a couple of hours before dawn. The guards outside will be tired, everyone inside will be sleeping" he paused. "we don't like what we see, we head back, make a new plan. They don't know who we are, we'll keep Jesus in the shadows." Rick said.

"This is how we eat" he reminded everyone.

"This is how we eat. . ." he said again in a quieter voice more so to himself.

"Roll out at midnight" Rick spoke. With that everyone walked off. They all went their own separate ways doing their own things before we moved out in the cover of nightfall. I stayed by the car, cleaning the pistol I was given. I could hear Rick and Carol talking off in the distance. Carol was worried about Maggie being here due to her being pregnant; bring out the mothering side in Carol. Rick informed her that they needed as many people as they could get for this mission, however, Carol insisted she would stay back with Maggie to patrol which Rick agreed to after some hesitation. With everything settled, Rick made his way over to Jesus to help decide on which walker head would make for the best Gregory decoy. They decided on the middle head, but felt that something was off with the nose. Next thing I know, Rick picks up the head and punches it in the nose a couple times. From my perspective it looked pretty funny, and I couldn't hold back the laugh that built up inside me. I let out a quiet chuckle from where I sat against the tire, watching from afar.

.• ______ •.

Midnight approached fast as the sun disappeared leaving us in the dark. All my time out in the woods alone made the darkness comforting. It reminded me of all the times I use to sneak out at night as a kid to hang out with my friends. We'd go down to the park near our house and mess around, just having fun. It was time like this that reminded me of the past.

Every was getting ready to roll out. Just as I was about to follow suit, Daryl stopped me.

"I don't want you going in with us" he staid sternly.

"I can handle myself" I spoke quietly, looking straight into Daryl's eyes. His face had a serious expression, but I watched as his eyes softened momentarily under my gaze before returning to how they were previously.

"I said no, stay here with Carol and Maggie" he ordered, "we'll be back" he said in his raspy voice. Before I could protest further, he walked off before I could, catching up to Rick. From ahead, I head Rick ask Daryl where I was to which he informed him of his decision. Rick just nodded.

Slowly I walked over to Carol and Maggie. When the two understood I would be joining them opposed to the others, Maggie gave me a confused look. To my surprise, Carol looked unfazed like she expected something like this.

"Aren't you supposed to be with the others?" Maggie asked. I nodded.

"Daryl told me to stay back. . . Im not sure why. . ." I responded, looking down at the ground awkwardly as I kicked my foot in the dirt.

"He probably doesn't want to see you have to kill anyone" Carol said. She spoke as if from experience, like it was the most obvious thing to her. I turned to Carol kind of surprised.

"He cares about you" Maggie added with a nod. She smiled at me which I shyly returned.

As I turned away from the two, I whispered to myself. . .

"but it wouldn't be the first time I had to kill someone. . ."

___________________
Chapter14:End