- 1 -

There I was, surrounded with the undead on all sides of me. All I had to my name was a gun with 6 bullets, and a metal baseball bat. My Katana had been lost among all the chaos along with my pocket knife gifted to me by my grandfather. It would be sad to loose such a precious item to me, but my survival was of more importance at the moment.

Swiftly I charged the undead, not wasting anymore time. There was less of them to my right so I went for them first. I swung my bat with all my force, crushing their heads in with one or two blows. Once I had cleared the ones to the right, I turned and charged towards the remaining undead; smashing their heads in as well. I was just about finished when one of the undead approached me from behind, knocking me down. Thankfully I did not get bit, but if I had, I would have been forced to take my own life. I was now on the ground with the undead on top of me. My strength was beginning to dwindle from swinging the bat around, but just as it look as if it was going to be the end for me as the last group of walkers surrounded me, I managed to take out my gun. I shot the undead atop of me in the head causing it to fall on me; blood splattering onto my face. I quickly pushed the body off of me, and stood up while grabbing my bat.

"Last few bastards then I'll look for my knife" I whispered to myself before charging the undead to finish the job.

.• _____ •.

"That wasn't too bad" i panted, whipping the sweat from my forehead. All of the undead bodies were now laying on the ground.

"That was only, what. . . 30 walkers?" I huffed. While scanning the dead bodies all around me, the numbers were clearly larger that 30. Just as I was about to head out, from the corner of my eye I spotted a shiny metal object on the ground. I walked over to find that it was my pocket knife, and katana laying on the ground.

"Yes!" I quietly celebrated as I eagerly picked up my weapons. I put them back into the Batman backpack I picked up while scavenging.

"Now to get outta here. That gunshot will surely bring more" I said to myself, and started off into the field that showcased a dense forest on the other side.

Upon reaching the forest, I wondered around around the tall trees looking up to admire their height when suddenly the sound of footsteps cracked through the brush. I could tell based on the sound of the footsteps that they did not belong to the undead. Quickly, but quietly I moved to hide behind the trunk of a tree. Once I heard the footsteps grow closer, I carefully peaked out from behind the tree. Not far from where I hid did I spot a lone male. He looked to be much older than myself, and he carried a crossbow on his back. No longer than I got a glimpse of the male did i accidentally step on a stick causing it to snap in half. Good going me. I quickly moved behind the tree once again, hoping the male did not see me, but to my dismay the began to walk in my direction. Quick! Think of something, I mentally slapped myself, desperately trying to think of a way to save my ass as I hit myself in the head. Wait! Suddenly an idea popped into just in time as the guy neared my position.

.• Unknown P.O.V. •.

I was out scavenging for useful materials when I heard a snap of a stick come from my right. I turned in the direction of the sound, and stopped in my tracks, but there was no one there. Just to be safe, I told myself as I took my knife out and approached the direction—a tree—in which I heard the noise come from.

Anticipation built up as I neared the tree. I was ready to stab anyone or anything that popped out. However, when I rounded the trunk of the tree, there was nothing there.

.• Y/n's P.O.V. •.

I watched from above as the man came into view from behind the tree. He had a knife in his hand, and his guard up. Upon the unknown male finding nothing behind the tree, he put his knife away, and walked off. Thankfully for me the thick pine tree prevented the older male from spotting me hidden in the branches above. It was a good thing I was wearing black leggings, a dark blue tank top, and a black jacket. I silently thanked myself for not wearing my red flannel or else I most likely would have been caught.

When I was sure that the man was gone—and unlikely to backtrack in my direction—I climbed down the tree making sure to scan for any of the undead that may be wandering near by. There were none to be spotted. I guess my luck is starting to turn, I thought to myself as my feet hit the ground, to my dismay I heard a growl come from behind me. . . I spoke too soon. With a groan of annoyance, I turned around a swiftly swung my bat at the dead dude behind me.

"Now your really dead, you should thank me" I said as I looked down with a blank look.

"Back to the road" I whispered with a sigh as I turned on my heals and walked further into the woods.

.• *Time Skip* •.

I had just stumbled across a road a little further ahead of me, but it was starting to get dark out. Figuring that there may be people traveling on the road at night I decided to keep my distance and walked up the side a bit to a tall, thickly pinned tree I had spotted previously. Due to the trees towering height over the rest I would have a perfect view of the road.

"This is where I'll be sleeping for the night" I told myself in a hushed voice before I climbed the tree to the highest branch that would still hold my weight comfortably. I straddled the branch so I wouldn't fall as I took off my backpack. Opening it up I grabbed what I needed.

"Ok. . . pillow, and. . . rope" I spoke to myself as I pulled out said items from my bag. Understandably, after spending time on my own I had developed a habit of talking to myself as a way to retain my sanity. I had been alone since the very beginning of this apocalypse bullshit. I find myself often getting lonely as I rarely see people anymore. The few times I had run into people after the world ended they had either tried to kill me in order to steal my stuff or take me by force to satisfy their own selfish pleasures. Thankfully I had managed to avoid such encounters, however, I wasn't about to test my luck.

[ Fun Fact: extreme loneliness causes the brain to emit the same hormone as if you were being physically attacked; hence why it can kill you ]

With a resting place picked out, I placed the pillow under me before I began to tie the rope around my stomach and the tree trunk. This would prevent me from falling in the middle of the night as I rest. It had become a method I had gotten use to using as a means to sleep at night without worrying about waking up in the middle of the night with the undead in my face; or worse. Despite not being the most comfortable, it was effective as the dead were unable to climb trees as far as I was aware, nor would they be able to smell you if you climbed high enough.

As the sun began to set, my eyelids started to  grow heavier. I took backpack which I had been hugging, and hung it on the branch that was to my right. I made sure to tie it to the branch on the off chance that I was to hit it in the middle of the night which had happened once before. With that, I was all set to turn on for the night. My eyelids slowly but surely closed, and I was engulfed in the questionable comfort of the darkness.

___________________
Chapter 1: End