- 26 -

The group had resorted to walking to scout out a rout. Aaron stayed back at the RV watching over Maggie while we took a walk down a gravel path till we were forced to a stop.

Once again to our dismay, the path was blocked. The enemy had cut down many large trees for this blockade as huge logs were stacked up in the middle of the path, creating another obstacle that would be impossible to easily take down.

"These tracks. . . they would indicate they not only have people, but some big ass toys and capabilities" Eugene stated, looking down at the black tracks that were left on the gravel path.

"What they indicate is we are neck deep up shit creek with our mouths wide open" Abraham quickly stated after Eugene, making sure to state the harsh reality for the group.

Suddenly we were brought aback as the sound of chains could be heard rattling somewhere behind us, a bloodcurdling scream quickly followed.

As we all were quick to turn around, guns and weapon held at hand; a man with a chain tied securely around his neck came tumbling off the edge of the over pass. We all stared in shock as the man before us had all the air forcefully prevented from his taking, slowly choking to death in front of us. Everyone couldn't help but feel useless and defeated as we knew we could do nothing to help the human life before us. The chain could not be broken with a single bullet nor could we afford to waste our precious ammunition with the saviors proving themselves to be a silent threat waiting to burst. When the male finally stoped struggling, his arms going limp before swaying in the air, we all came to terms with what we just witnessed. It was no pretty sight or preferred reality, but within a world of death where the dead are also know to come back to life as brainless walking cannibals—it could not be avoided in the slightest.

With quivering lips and silent mourning, we all turned around at warmth appearing unexpectedly behind us. The stack of logs that blocked our way was now on fire and beginning to build. A voice came with the bright flames from assumingly behind the logs.

"You're treating your people good, right?" The voice sounded "—like it was your last day on earth? Or maybe. . one of theirs?" The voice paused with the silence.

"You better go. . . it's gonna get hot. . . you go get where your going" the make voice concluded without another word. At the anonymous voice, Rick took action.

"go, GO" he said, making his word louder the second time. Everyone made their way back to the RV in a sprint and Rick came too, his eyes lingering on the burning wood.

___________________
Chapter 25: End
- major filler chapter -