- 7 -

Daryl and I left Alexandria after grabbing a few guns, knives, and other essentials we may need for our run. Alexandria was quite far from most buildings and any shopping malls so we would be gone the majority of the day at best. Fortunately, Daryl wasn't one to stick to predetermined paths, so we made up time traveling through the woods on foot. While traveling through the forest we encountered many of the undead—often in groups—but we handles ourselves well. We both had confidence in our close combat abilities, but Daryl's skill with the crossbow provided some reassuring backup when needed. Within 20 or so minutes of walking through the forest, we entered a large clearing. Before us lay the large road leading straight to a large shopping mall. From afar I took note of the broken window, and crumbling outer walls, but it still held strong.

"This looks fine" Daryl said as we made our way to the front entrance. Walking in, I couldn't help but stare up in amazement. The mall had 4 floors filled to the brim with a variety of different shops. A good majority of the malls interior was brightly illuminated by the large sky lights featured above creating an incredible ambiance within the abandoned building.

"This is huge" I whispered to myself as I looked around. Where I came from, I had only been inside two story shopping malls before now. Naturally, the mall had been mostly raided of its food and weapons, however, clothing and other miscellaneous items remained.

We walked over the where the escalators were located, and carefully walked up to the third floor. I followed Daryl over to what looked to be an H&M, but the sign was partially missing. There was a large variety of clothes still left in the store to search through. I walked straight over to a section filled with dark colored clothes as white as has never done me justice. I spotted a couple old band t-shirts with names such as AC/DC, Metallica, and Nine inch Nails that I couldn't resist. I then grabbed a few tanks tops in black, dark grey, and navy blue along with a black top with skulls going down the side for the hotter days. Randomly, I selected some long sleeves that had different patterns of slits going down the arms, and packed them into my Batman backpack which I had emptied of any unnecessary items at the house.

Moving on from the shirts, I made my way to another section to look for pants. I grabbed four pairs of black leggings being the least restrictive, and comfortable material which was essential for running from the dead or the living. Then I grabbed a couple pairs of jeans, a pair of sweatpants, and a few pairs of cargo pants. Although I was unlikely to wear shorts, I also grabbed two simple black pairs. Now the fun part, I thought as I now made my way to the bras. To my utter surprise Daryl was there eyeing a few things.

"What are you. . . doing?" I asked confused. The male looked up at me with a blank face, and held up a pair of black laced underwear with a matching bra.

"Um. . . no. ." I said, and went to the back where I grabbed a few simple black pairs and a blue one cuz. . . why not?

"Let's go" I said, now finished. I walked out of the store with Daryl following slowly behind me. We began walking down the long hallway we had come from when I noticed we passed an art store.

"Fuck" I whispered to myself as the temptation built up inside me. I looked in front of me where Daryl was still slowly walking ahead of me. He wouldn't mind if I stopped in and grabbed a few things, I told myself as I crept into the store. Almost everything was still on the shelves aside from a few items that had been knocked over. Without any hesitation I started to grab some dusty sketchbooks from the shelves along with some prisms colored pencils that were expensive enough before that I could afford. Beside them were some charcoal pencils which I also bagged.

I was caught up in the moment grabbing some coloring books and crayons for the kids back at Alexandria that I almost missed the sound of something wizzing past my head from behind. I turned to my right where I saw Daryl with his crossbow raised, urging me to turn to my left were I saw a walked now on the floor with an arrow between its temple. Fuck, how did I not hear it?, I scolded myself as Daryl walked towards me.

"What are you doing you could have gotten yourself killed" he asked me in a deep voice. Although he was neither yelling nor calmly speaking such words, I could feel the scolding nature.

"I. . . I" I whispered.

"Speak up, I can't hear you" he said. I flinched. Damn anxiety, I cursed internally. Instead I just held up the coloring books and crayons I had in my hand.

"For. . t—the kids. ." I said with my head tilted downward. I was too nervous to face him. Suddenly he lifted my chin so I would look at him.

"You shouldn't get distracted" he spoke in a gentle voice. This time I decided to meet his eyes. It seemed like he was concerned, something I wasn't quite expecting to see in his dark orbs.

"O—ok. ." I stuttered as he let go of my chin.

"Good" he said. As he did, I swear I could have caught a smile on his face. But he turned before I was able to confirm.

"Let's go" he ordered in his usual raspy voice as he walked away. I couldn't help the smile that momentarily appeared on my face as I quickly put the books into my bag, and followed after him.

___________________
Chapter 7: End