05- Bronte Could Really Use A Chill Pill

"Wait, what guests?"

"The guests that will be giving your test."

"Wait, what test?" (Y/N) asked once again, sending a glare at Sophie and Fitz. They pretended to be looking at something else.

"They're testing you to see if you qualify for Foxfire."

"Isn't that a fungus?" Sophie said, ruining the moment.

Alden cracked up as Fitz's face grew offended. "It's our most prestigious academy."

"Why would you name you most 'prestigious academy' after a type of fungus?" (Y/N) continued, raising a brow.

"It represents a glow in a darkened world."

"But... the light comes from a fungus."

Fitz rolled his eyes. "Will you both stop saying fungus? Only those with the strongest talent qualify for Foxfire, and if you don't get it, you can pretty much kiss your future goodbye."

Alden placed a hand on each of their shoulders. "You'll have to excuse my son. He's very proud to attend Foxfire- and it certainly is an accomplishment. But don't let him worry you. The earliest levels are more of a testing ground, to see who develops abilities that qualify them to continue with their studies."

"Is it hard to get into Foxfire?" (Y/N) asked.

"Councillor Bronte will be difficult to impress," Alden admitted. "He feels that upbringing and lack of proper education of both of you should cause instant disqualification. Plus, he doesn't like surprises. The Council had no idea both of you existed until today, and he's more than a little miffed about it. But each of you only need two out of three votes. Just do the best you can."

_

(Y/N) looked up at the huge double doors, encrusted with a jeweled mosaic of two diamond unicorns racing across a field of amethyst flowers. It was quite intimidating.

"Both of you have nothing to worry about." Alden told them reassuringly.

Except for the fact that this determines the rest of my life, (Y/N) thought negatively.

Fitz pulled open the doors, revealing a formal dining room, where three figures in jewel-encrusted circlets sat. Seeing Fitz bow, (Y/N) dipped into a slightly wobbly curtsy, urging Sophie to do the same.

"Councillors, this is Sophie Foster and (Y/N) (L/N). Sophie, (Y/N), this is Kenric, Oralie, and Bronte."

(Y/N)'s eyes drifted over the three of them, taking in their appearances when her eyes landed on Bronte. Or, more likely, his ears. Sophie gasped from beside her.

"What?" Bronte demanded.

Five pairs of blue eyes glued onto Sophie and (Y/N). Sophie looked down, muttering, "Sorry. I was surprised by your ears."

The entire room was filled with the sound of laughter. (Y/N) just patted Sophie on the back.

"I think she's surprised that your ears are... pointy. Our ears change shape as we age. Eventually it will happen to all of us."

(Y/N) fought a grimace, her fingers twitching to cover her ears.

"I'm going to get pointy ears?" Sophie gasped.

"Not for a few thousand years. But by then, I doubt you'd mind." Alden promised.

Woah, woah, woah, wait. A thousand years?

"How long can elves live?" (Y/N) questioned, sinking down in her chair and looking at the adults in question.

"We don't know. No one's died of old age yet." Kenric said, scooching his chair a bit to Oralie's.

"So... elves are immortal?"

Alden sighed, a weary yet sad expression crossing his face. "No, we can die. But our bodies stop aging by adulthood. Only our ears continue." He smiled at Bronte, who scowled. "Bronte is part of a group called the Ancients, which is why his ears are so prominent." Alden turned back towards the table, gesturing to the domed platters in front of everyone. "Please, help yourself."

(Y/N) uncovered hers, then froze.

Underneath the platter was a scoop of mushy, purple goop, with a few black strips of... something on the side.

"...Okay then." She muttered under her breath, before spooning a bit of the goop into her mouth. Her eyebrows shot up, and her eyes widened.

Cheeseburger, was all she thought, before taking a bite of a black strip. Chicken~

(Y/N) nearly died right there and then-she was practically in food heaven right now.

"What is this stuff?" Sophie asked from beside her, while (Y/N) proceeded to stuff her face in the most neatest way possible.

"That's mashed carnissa root. The black strips are umber leaves."

A few seconds passed, before Sophie said, "Tastes like chicken."

The table went quiet. (Y/N) finally looked up from her food.

"You eat animals?" Fitz asked with a slight grimace.

Sophie did a shaky nod, squirming in her seat. "I take it elves are vegetarians?"

A nod.

(Y/N) shoved her spoon back in her mouth, trying to imagine what eating vegetables 24/7 was like.

But... what about my hot pockets...

(Y/N) shuddered, hoping with all her heart that the elves at least had some vegetable that tasted like hot pockets.

"So, Sophie," Bronte sneered. "Alden tells me that you're a Telepath. And that you're a Charger, (Y/N)."

"Yes. Sophie had also told me that they both have been able to do that since they were five. Right Sophie, (Y/N)?"

Two nods, and Oralie's and Kenric's jaws fell.

"That's the most absurd thing I've ever heard," Bronte argued.

"It's unusual." Alden corrected.

Bronte rolled his eyes, before directing his attention back to (Y/N) and Sophie. "Let's see how good you are, then. Starting with (Y/N)," The males eyes bored into the females (E/c) ones. "I want to see a test of exactly how good your abilities are."

(Y/N) froze, barely managing shaky nod before getting up. She took a deep breath, steeling her nerves.

It's go time.