13- Meeting the Vacker Family

(Y/N) walked into Everglen, watching as the glowing doors swung outwards.

So I have to keep my ability a secret, hmm? Just like the good old days...

As Alden led them through Everglen's gleaming ground, he explained their schedule and how Foxfire was going to be like.

(Y/N)'s new schedule would have two sessions a day, with lunch and study hall. She'd be called a prodigy-which is basically a student- and would be taught eight subjects, each taught by a mentor. But, when Alden explained that the majority of them would be taught one-on-one by a Mentor, who was part of the nobility, (Y/N) gulped.

How stressful. I could barely stand a human school, how am I going to survive this one? Not to mention how behind I am...

The school year had already started, and (Y/N) would be starting as a Level two with Sophie, the level that was correct for their age group. Buuuuut, being an elf meant that she had to trash everything she had already learned, learn everything that she had thought was impossible, and hurry to not be left behind.

"What am I supposed to tell my family?" Sophie finally said when Alden had finished explaining. "Their not going to let me disappear every day with no explanation."

Alden looked almost nervous as he opened the doors to Everglen, stepping aside to let Fitz, Sophie, and (Y/N) in. "Actually, about that... You and (Y/N) need to have a talk with me."

(Y/N) could see Sophie gulp, nervousness clear in her eyes.

"My office is this way," Alden stated, walking down yet another gleaming hall. "We can talk there. There is much to dis-"

Two voices interrupted him, coming from somewhere down the hall. The bickering became louder as they all walked closer, until (Y/N) had entered a wide sitting room filled with overstuffed couches and elegant statues of all sizes and shapes. Sitting on an armchair was a girl around (Y/N)'s age, with long, dark hair, who was seemingly arguing with herself.

And then, as if the world wanted to prove (Y/N) wrong, a woman in a shimmering purple gown appeared right next to the dark-haired girl and said, "You're home."

From next to (Y/N), Sophie let out a squeal, as (Y/N) clutched her rapidly beating heart.

Why am I still surprised?

From behind (Y/N), Fitz snickered, until the (h/c)-haired female elbowed him in the ribs.

"Sophie, (Y/N), this is my wife, Della," Alden announced, his words coming off a bit strangled in the beginning.

Probably from hiding his laughter, (Y/N) thought bitterly.

"And my daughter, Biana," He continued, gesturing to the girl on the armchair, before looking back at Della. "My dear, I don't believe guest is used to being around Vanishers."

"I'm so sorry," Della said to (Y/N) and Sophie, her smile genuinely apologetic. Unlike Fitz and Alden, her voice had a more musical tone to it, with just a hint of their accent. "Are the two of you okay?"

(Y/N) gave her a thumbs up, pulling her hand away from her chest. Sophie was oddly quiet, but she managed to mutter a small 'yes', while averting her eyes.

Biana stared at Sophie and (Y/N), before a frown crossed her face. "Are those my dresses?"

"Yes," Alden answered. "They both needed to borrow them to go on a few errands."

"We can go change," Sophie offered, tugging on (Y/N)'s arm.

"No... it's fine," Biana finally said, looking away. "You both can keep them. They were kind of frumpy anyway."

Rude.

Before (Y/N) could flash a glare at Biana, Della interrupted. "Quinlin sent the files you requested," The smile she had on her face slightly faded away. "And the Council denied our request. But they did approve Grady and Edaline."

Alden raised an eyebrow. "For both of them?"

Della nodded.

Alden ran a hand through his hair, almost as if frustrated. "In that case, I better make a call," He turned to Sophie and (Y/N). "Then we'll have a long talk, okay?"

The two of them nodded, watching as Alden went down the hall. Already, (Y/N) knew that she would have no idea how to react to this awkward social situation. She could feel Della and Biana staring at her.

"The Council sent these for the two for you," Della said, attempting to start a conversation. She held out four small parcels wrapped in thick paper as she walked towards (Y/N) and Sophie, blinking in and out with every step.

"She doesn't realize she does it," Fitz whispered into (Y/N)'s ear. "Vanisher's let light pass through their bodies, so they can turn invisible, even when they move."

(Y/N) gave him a small nod as Della finally stopped in front of them, unwrapping the parcels. "Hold up that beautiful (h/c) hair, will you?" She said, looking at (Y/N) with a soft smile.

(Y/N) nodded, before tugging her hair up with her arm. As she did so, Della clasped a thick silver cord around her neck, almost like a choker of sorts. When Della pulled back and did the same for Sophie, (Y/N) examined the pendant at the front; an etched silver loop with a clear crystal in the middle.

"Your registry pendant," Della explained as she saw (Y/N) examining it. "It's to make sure the Council can find you, if the need arises."

When (Y/N) let go of the pendant, Della handed her a small green cube, like the one Alden had when they had gone to Atlantis. "Anytime any of you need to pay for anything, just give them that. Both of your birth funds' have been activated."

(Y/N) looked up from her cube, gazing at Della with a confused look on her face. "We have money?"

Della nodded. "The standard five million."

Sophie gasped. "Dollars?"

"Lusters." Fitz corrected. "One luster is probably worth a million dollars."

"What's a dollar?" Biana interrupted.

"Human money."

"Ew."

What's so gross about money? That doesn't even make any sense...

"We do things differently around here. Money is something we have, not something we need. No one ever has to go without." Della explained.

Sophie still looked confused. "But... why does everyone work, then, if they already have money?"

"What else would we do with our time?"

"I don't know. Something fun?"

"Work is fun," Della insisted. "Remember; we're not limited to seventy or eighty years. Once you get used to that idea, I think you'll find our way makes much more sense."

"Maybe," Sophie murmured.

"All set?" Alden suddenly said as he entered the room.

Della nodded, before asking, "Were you able to change their minds?"

Alden shook his head, and everyone's faces fell- well, everyone but Biana, who was the exact opposite.

"What exactly is going on?" (Y/N) asked.

Alden let out a long sigh, before turning to (Y/N) and Sophie with a wobbly smile. "Come on, Sophie, (Y/N). Let's go have that talk."