07- The Voting

"It's the proper name for a moonlark, a rare species of bird."

"And that's bad because...?"

"It's not bad. It's just... interesting." Alden murmured.

Bronte let out a snort. "Troubling is what it is."

"Why would it be troubling?" (Y/N) asked, curious to what a moonlark could do with any of this.

"It most likely just an uncomfortable coincidence. It's most likely you were just trying to say your name." Alden said firmly, like he was trying to convince himself as well.

There was silence, as everyone took in and processed the information given.

A moonlark, huh? (Y/N) thought. Interesting...

"Well, I think I've heard enough to make my decision," Bronte barked, shattering the silence. "I vote against both; and there's nothing any of you can say to change my mind."

(Y/N)'s heart sank a bit, even if she knew that it was to be expected.

Kenric shot Bronte a look, shaking his head. "Don't be absurd, Bronte. I vote in favor-and you won't convince me otherwise."

All eyes turned to Oralie, who hadn't said a word the entire time. The Councillor's blonde ringlets slightly bounced as she looked at (Y/N).

"Give me your hand, (Y/N)." She said, her voice melodic and smooth.

"Oralie's an Empath. She can feel your emotions." Fitz explained quickly.

(Y/N) nodded, and slowly extended her arm. Oralie grasped it gently, her fingers warm. Her eyes fluttered closed. It was silent for a moment, before the Councillor spoke.

"I feel a lot of hesitance and loneliness, but there's a sort of feeling of... longing. Longing and hopefulness. And... and so much more..." Oralie's voice faded out at the end of her sentence, before her bright eyes opened once more, and she stared (Y/N) right in the eye. "You have my vote."

Oralie let go of (Y/N)'s hand, and the female pulled it back, deep in thought. She felt oddly exposed, and she didn't like it.

(Y/N) watched with a blank expression as Sophie pulled away from Oralie. Apparently, she had just finished.

"You also have my vote."

"That settles it then." Alden said with a grin, clapping his hands together.

"For now," Bronte warned. "This will be revisited, I'll make sure of it."

Alden's smile faltered. "When?"

"We'll wait for the end of the year, and then do it, so Sophie and (Y/N) have some time to adjust."

"Excellent." Alden agreed.

"Fools," Brinte muttered under his breath, before raising his voice to be heard. "I invoke my right as Senior Councillor to demand a probe."

(Y/N), who had been overjoyed at passing, felt her joy flicker out. What the heck was a probe?

Alden stood up, looking at Bronte. "I had planned at much. I've arranged to bring the two of them to Quintan for a probe as soon as we're done here."

_

"What's a probe?" Sophie asked Fitz. Alden was currently leading everyone out, and Fitz, (Y/N) and Sophie were the only ones left inside.

Fitz leaned back in his chair, as if thinking. "It's just a different way to read a person's mind. No big deal. It happens a lot if your in Telepathy training. Which it seems like you'll be in, Sophie."

Fitz sat up in his seat, his eyes flashing from Sophie to (Y/N). "I can't believe you both passed. It looked iffy there for a second," He said, flashing Sophie a look.

Right. The Bronte incident. (Y/N) thought with a smirk.

"Right?" (Y/N) said, looking at Sophie as said girl tried to stifle her blush. "But why does Bronte need a probe? Like, give us a break."

"Well, that's Bronte for you. He's just a pain," Fitz said, flashing (Y/N) a knowing smile, which the girl sent back. "Well, that and I think he's worried that my dad couldn't read both of your guys' minds."

"Why does it matter if no one can read my mind? Or (Y/N)'s?"

"Probably because of your upbringing."

"You mean the fact that my family is human. And I'm not." Sophie said.

There was silence, before Fitz nodded.

(Y/N) looked away from the conversation, instead choosing to stare at the fluttering silk curtains. She watched as they rose and fell, sometimes revealing small bits of the window behind them.

(Y/N) sighed. Growing up in an orphanage had taught her to be tough, to be strong or to be picked on. She was always that lone wolf that people avoided out of respect or fear.

Even if that meant to be lonely.

"Why... why would that concern him?" Sophie asked once more, trying to control the waver in her voice.

Probably from thinking about her family, (Y/N) thought bitterly, jealousy rising up in her gut. She ignored it. I really shouldn't be jealous of Sophie. It must be hard for her knowing that her family is not even her actual family.

"Because it's never happened before."

It took (Y/N) a second to realize what he was talking about once more, too caught up in her thoughts to actually keep up with the conversation.

We're the first ones? She thought with immense confusion. I mean, sure, if there was one, it could pass off as a mistake... but two?

Before anyone else could say a word, Alden had once again entered the room. "(Y/N), Sophie, why don't you come with me, and we'll get you both something else to wear. You'd better change as well, Fitz."

(Y/N) nodded, getting up and following Alden out of the room. Sophie followed after her.

"Where are we going?" She asked Alden.

Alden flashed (Y/N) a smile, a twinkle in his eye. "How would you both like to see Atlantis?"