20- The Next Day

"They're alive!" Fitz teased as (Y/N) and Sophie walked down into the living room the next day. "You do realize that you both slept through breakfast and lunch?"

(Y/N) shrugged. "I was never a morning person." Looking around, she noticed every inch of the room was covered in weird clothing- for some reason.

"You both had a rough day yesterday. Plus, your bodies need to rest while they detox." Della said as she materialized in the center of the room.

Sophie clutched her chest as (Y/N) stared at Della blankly, her mind still processing the information.

Della smiled, before her face fell slightly. "How are you both doing?"

(Y/N) shrugged. She honestly felt the same, but she knew if she said that out loud, they'd think she was crazy.

"Well, you both look great, The detox really helped. You should see your hair, it's so shiny, and your guys' eyes are so exotic...You both are going to be quite the heartbreakers when you grow up."

(Y/N) blinked. 'Sure. I'll probably be hiding in my room and chowing on food more than 'breaking hearts'.'

"Who is?" Biana walked in, strutting around in her freaking golden embroidered dress that made no sense for a twelve-year-old to wear.

"Sophie and (Y/N). Don't they look great today?"

Biana stood in front of them, looking at them from head to toe before she shrugged. "Aren't those the dresses you both wore yesterday?"

'At least I don't look like an oversized Barbie doll,' (Y/N) thought to herself as Sophie to explain why.

"All our other clothes were-" Sophie tried to say, before Della interrupted.

"I'm sorry. I should've sent something up for the both of you. I've been shopping all morning." Della threw her arms out to her sides, a smile on her face. "Behold. You new wardrobe."

"All of this?" (Y/N) asked in shock, looking around in shock.

"Don't worry, (Y/N), your clothing is in the other room."

(Y/N) sent Della a look, but she didn't notice.

"I got everything you both need plus a few extras. I got a nexus for (Y/N).." Della said, holding out a paper wrapped parcel. "You were pretty vague with your description, so I hope this is good."

When (Y/N) took the parcel from her, Della turned to Sophie, explaining how she wasn't sure what she had wanted, so she offered to let her pick her own.

(Y/N) looked down at her package, before ripping at the paper and opening the box. Inside was a nexus, a carved black crystal flecked with silver adorning the center. It was surrounded with swirls of aquamarine on the cuff, with ancient runes carved in a silver color surrounding the nexus.

'Not bad...'

Putting it on, (Y/N) looked up, seeing Della's smiling face looking at her. "Do you like it?"

(Y/N) nodded. "Yup. Thank you."

"I should be done packing all of this in a few minutes, and then I'll get you both some lunch. Oh, and (Y/N), you can leave that empty parcel on the table over there.

"Packing?" Sophie asked as (Y/N) placed down the parcel remains. "You're kicking us out?"

Even if Sophie said it in a joking manner, a hint of sadness leaked into her voice.

Della rushed forward, taking Sophie's hands in hers. "Of course not. We thought you'd want to get settled into your new home. If you want to wait a few days, we'll unpack all your stuff right now."

Sophie shook her head, swallowing thickly. "No, it's fine. In fact, I don't want any lunch. I'm not hungry."

Della turned to (Y/N). "What about you?"

(Y/N) shrugged. "I'll just take a small snack."

Edaline nodded, before looking back at Sophie and noticing her nervous expression.

"You both are going to like Grady and Edaline."

"What're they like?"

"They're great," Alden promised. "They run an animal preserve, so there'll be plenty of interesting things going on."

"Do they have any kids?" (Y/N) asked as she received a little pouch filled with golden pastries topped with sugar crystals.

It was quiet, before Alden let out a sigh. "Grady and Edaline lost their only daughter about fifteen years ago. Her name was Jolie. She was twenty when she died. It was... a terrible accident."

Della covered her mouth with her hand.

Alden shook his head. "I'm not sure they'll be ready to mention it, so just be careful around that topic if they do ever bring it up. But please don't let that make you nervous to meet them. I won't deny that their loss has affected them, but they're still one of the most wonderful people I know. You both are going to like them," Alden sent a look at (Y/N). "You okay with taking those butterblasts to go?"

(Y/N) nodded, shoving one in her mouth. The delicious taste of crunchy pancakes hot off the griddle filled her mouth, followed by a thick maple-y cream.

"Wow. These are really good." (Y/N) said, her eyes wide as she swallowed the pastry.

Della smiled. "I'm glad you enjoyed them. I made them myself."

Alden held out his hand. "Come on. Let's go meet your new guardians."