15- Let's Get This Over With

(Y/N) watched as Sophie's parents huddled around her figure, shouting and hugging her. (Y/N) sighed, her pity growing with every second.

Her and Fitz were outside in Sophie's front yard, crouching right below the window. It was pretty late, so luckily there were no passerby to send them weird looks.

"After Sophie manages to get out after saying goodbye, we'll go to your place next," Fitz said as he glanced out at the darkened streets.

(Y/N) said nothing, instead watching as Sophie ran forward and hugged her sister.

"(Y/N)? You good?" He asked, shifting his attention towards the (h/c) haired female crouching next to him.

"Wha- Oh, yeah. I'm good." The female murmured, before turning to look back at Sophie inside.

Fitz stared at her face for a second, before proceeding to completely misinterpret the situation.

"You'll be able to see your family right after Sophie's done with hers. Don't worry," He said 'reassuringly', resting a hand on (Y/N)'s shoulder.

Furrowing her brows, a sudden wave of anger washed over (Y/N). The words 'after Sophie's done with hers' flickered through her mind.

Maybe I'm lucky for being an orphan, (Y/N) thought, before glaring at Fitz's hand and pushing it off.

"What-" He managed to stutter out, before (Y/N) jerked upwards, standing.

"I'll be back," She muttered, before walking towards the other end of the house, careful to stay out of sight, and turned around the right corner of the building. She could hear Fitz's hushed protests, but chose to ignore them like the queen she was.

Leaning her head against the white picket fence separating the houses, (Y/N) let out a sigh. She closed her eyes.

Why is Fitz so frustratingly annoying? I can't even tell if it's obliviousness or insensitivity.

Opening her eyes once more, she stared at the window conveniently placed in front of her, blinds partially closed. Focusing on it, (Y/N) realized it led to the living room, where Sophie was currently holding a backpack, her family sitting on the couch in front of her. She was saying something, the words muffled and unfamiliar, but her hand was clutching something in the confines of her jacket.

(Y/N)'s eyes widened as she scrambled back out to the front yard of Sophie's house, a single thought echoing through her head.

Sleeping gas.

_

(Y/N) slammed open the door, holding her breath at the last second. She had arrived just in time to see Sophie collapse on the ground, sobs escaping her throat and her body shaking.

Rushing to her friend, (Y/N) wraps her arms around the blonde's body, engulfing her in an embrace.

"I drugged my family," Sophie whispers, burying herself deeper into (Y/N)'s shoulder.

"You had no other choice," (Y/N) forced out, not liking the horrible feeling it left behind.

A shadow fell across the two of them, and (Y/N) glanced upwards, taking in the dark hair and teal eyes. A sorry look was on his face as he avoided eye contact.

"Look, I'm sorry and I feel like a jerk saying this, but we have to leave right now if we still want to make it to (Y/N)'s place. The Washers will be coming soon, and they can't find us here."

"Washers?"

"Telepaths who are specially trained to erase memories. I'm sure the Council has sent them by now."

"Just give her a second." (Y/N) said, rubbing Sophie's back.

"I'll get her bags in the meantime. Are they upstairs?"

"No," Sophie said, her voice slightly wobbly. "This is all I'm taking."

"That's all?" Fitz asked, raising an eyebrow at Sophie's worn, purple backpack. "It's now or never. Don't leave anything behind that you'll regret later."

"No, there's nothing-" Sophie went quiet, as if thinking about something. "Ella. I haven't slept without her since she was five. I thought I should leave her behind, but..." The blonde broke off her sentence, probably deep in thought.

"She's probably upstairs, by Sophie's bed or something. She's a bright blue elephant with a Hawaiian shirt last time I checked."

Fitz nodded, before heading upstairs, his footfalls the only sound in the house. When he did come back, Sophie had managed to wipe away all her tears, and was standing up, ready to leave. And she only seemed more determined when Ella was back in her hands.

"I'm ready to go." Sophie said, setting her jaw.

_

The chill, crisp air hit (Y/N) as soon as the light faded away, sending a shiver up her spine. Bright colored leaves fell all around her, as (Y/N)'s (e/c) eyes met the low, brick building in front of her.

She swiftly walked towards it, opening the door and walking inside.

Let's get this over with...