Ch. 3 Catching Up

Irma and Jack entered a light yellow, forty-year-old two-story home.

"Wow! This is a neat looking house," Jack said, gazing around while being led to the living room loveseat. When he sat down, he placed his staff against the couch's armrest while Irma went over to the living room closet and took out a small white blanket. As she handed it to him, he asked, "You're eighteen, aren't you?"

"I know there isn't much décor to really call it much of a home yet, but thank you," Irma answered, "And yes, I am," Then she added, "I so badly wanted to come back here and see you again, I saved up my allowance to buy something that was of my taste, but affordable."

Jack was taken aback, "You saved up just to see me?"

Irma looked away, embarrassed. "Ever since that night, you saved me from almost falling into that icy pond and taking me ice skating on those other days, you became my best friend."

Jack smiled and laid his hand on top of hers. "Where did you go? I tried looking for you."

Irma looks back at Jack. "My dad's job relocated us. We ended up moving to where it doesn't snow. Well, unless you were up North of the state, anyway."

"What state," Jack pressed on?

"Arizona," she answered. "We had to move right after that winter. I wanted to tell you so bad, but I wasn't able to leave a note or a letter."

"I should have looked harder for you. You were my only real friend at the time, and I failed you." He looked down at the floor, his eyes saddened. "I guess I only thought that you were somewhere it can get cold. I should have also looked where it only gets hot," Jack said apologetically. "I was so stupid to give up on finding you so easily."

"Would you have been alright being out of your element," Irma asked curiously?

"The heat doesn't bother me because my body temperature never changes." He paused, looking down at his less than pale hands. "Well, until these past few weeks."

"I'm back now, Jack. And I promise I'm not going anywhere this time. Best Friends honor." Irma wound her left pinky around his right one to lock that promise in place. "I pinky swear," she smiled. "I'll be by your side even if you become human."

He smiled back, "I never thought that my first best friend, for all this time, kept her belief in me."

"I had to, Jack. I know it's a bit strange, but you are important to me."

Jack embraced her with a hug. "Thank you."

Irma wasn't expecting him to hug her and jumped slightly but not noticeably. He wasn't as cold as she expected him to be, mainly because he was becoming mortal and his freezing temperature was diminishing. She returned the hug and said, "you're welcome."

They let go of each other, and as they parted Irma asked, "How are you feeling?"

"I actually feel better," Jack answered, readjusting the blanket around his legs and feet. "Which is strange because I know I'm not done transforming into a mortal."

"I saw how much pain you were in," she said. "It's strange how that just suddenly vanished when you're still changing."

"Well, the pain being on the sidelines right now is a relief. But, yeah, I don't understand it either." Jack shrugged, fixing the blanket once more. He was uncomfortable, but at the same time, Jack wanted to keep his feet from being their usual frozen selves.

"If you're feeling tired at all, I have a bed in the extra bedroom," Irma told him.

"Thank you," Jack answered. "I am a little bit exhausted. But it's been a long time since we've seen each other." He grabbed ahold of her hand, his eyes still filled with happiness, "I can stay up all night and catch up on all the things we missed over the years if we're able."