Four

Most Precious Thing

"Why do you keep staring at me?" a quiet voice asks, snapping Taehyung out of his daydreams.

"Was I?" Taehyung smiles bashfully, laying on the charm, and watches with pleasure as Jeongguk
blushes, frowning in concentration at the textbook in front of them.

"You havent been listening to a thing I've said, Jeongguk frowns, and his bottom lip sticks out
subconsciously.

He's too adorable for his own good , Taehyung thinks. And really, Jeon Jeongguk is quite cute, in
a quiet, innocent way. He wonders how long it will take for him to draw the shy boy out of his
shell. They had been tutoring for weeks, but Jeongguk hadn't spoken to him unless it was school related.

This is so boring.

And Taehyungs friends had been asking when he was going to get the picture of them kissing,
but at this point, even the idea of getting Jeongguk to smile at him looks very grim.

"Sorry, Ive just been tired lately," Taehyung sighs. " I have a lot of other responsibilities."

Jeongguk mutters an apology. "I didnt think about that" And Taehyung grins, because Jeon Jeongguk is too easy, too gullible for his own good. And he
doesn't understand what its like to be an heir. To have millions in his bank account. And Taehyung is luckier than others- his older brother Namjoon's already taken control of the business.

Kim Taehyung is eighteen years old, and has never worked a day in his life.

"I just I would feel bad wasting your time if you have more important things to do," Jeongguk
mumbles quickly, not making eye contact. Jeongguk never really makes eye contact with
Taehyung, and the elder guesses its intimidation.

If anything, Im wasting your time, Jeonggukie, Taehyung chirps, not even slightly guilty.

Which reminds me...

Taehyung leans over to dig through his backpack, splayed open on the dining table where they had set up their work.

"Here," Taehyung hands him a box. Jeongguk looks at him in surprise, before taking the box carefully.

"What Why?" Jeongguk stumbles with his words as he takes out the shiny cell phone, eyes wide in disbelief.

Its a cell phone, silly, Taehyung laughs, clapping Jeongguk on the back. The younger yelps, the phone almost falling out of his hands in surprise, and he clutches the device tightly in his hands.

"I - Why?" Jeongguk asks.

"You said you didnt have one. So I got you one."

"I-I cant accept this," Jeongguk puts the phone back in the box and tries to shove it back towards Taehyung, who frowns.

"Its a gift. Youre supposed to take it and say thank you." Taehyung moves the box back closer to Jeongguk.

"Th-this is expensive, Taehyung" Jeongguk tries, and its true. Its one of the newest models in the market, but Taehyung wouldnt settle for anything but the best, even for one of his little toys.

"Does it look like money is an issue? " Taehyung sweeps his arms around the large hall, vases and portraits lining the walls, a large crystal chandelier hanging above them. Maids are bustling about them, and just a moment ago, the butler had asked what the chef might make them for snacks.

Jeongguk blushes deeply, ducking his head down again.

"It doesnt feel right," Jeongguk stammers, and Taehyungs frown deepens. This is a big difference between Jeongguk and Minah, he realizes. Minah would insist Taehyung buy her things. Jeongguk insisted that he not.

"Well, just use it to contact me, then, Taehyung bargains. Just me. And once this whole tutoring business is done, you can give it back."

In the back of Taehyungs mind, he wonders who else Jeongguk would even use the phone for the boy never talks to anyone, and completely disappears during lunchtime.

Jeongguk eyes the box warily again. Taehyung sighs. Oh come on, its getting annoying having to go up to you in class every day, he snaps, and Jeongguk recoils from the words.

"I-Im sorry to be an inconvenience, then," Jeongguks voice wobbles, and he starts packing up his books hurriedly. Taehyung rolls his eyes, exasperated.

"No, hey, stop." Taehyung wraps his hand around Jeongguks wrist, stopping him. He sighs again. "Thats not what I meant, okay? I just It would be easier for both of us."

It feels like an eternity as Jeongguk just stares at him, wide brown eyes hurt and reproachful, but he nods slightly, tugging his wrist out of Taehyungs grip, and unpacks his things.

Jeongguk goes back to explaining molecular orbital theory quietly, as usual, and Taehyung doesnt listen, as usual.

But when Jeongguk leaves for the day, he takes the phone with him, clutching it in his hands like its the most precious thing. he's ever held.

______________________________________

📵📵📵📵📵

How is the story so far