Eighteen

No Hyung, it's OK

"So, how's the bet coming along?" Mark asks, slinging an arm around Taehyung's shoulder. The question throws him off for a moment, and he pauses in his steps.

Shit.

"Oh, the bet."

Shit shit shit.

Mark looks at him, eyebrows raised, wondering why they had stopped in the middle of the hallway.

"You didn't forget, did you?" Taehyung's face burns, and for a moment, he is at a loss for words.

He'd been so caught up in Jeongguk, he'd forgotten the original reason he had wanted to get close to him.

"No... of course not." Taehyung tenses his shoulders defensively. Mark's eyes seem especially judgemental, and it makes Taehyung uncomfortable. He wonders how Mark and his other friends might react if they found out that the bet had become something... more.

God this is fucked up.

"You only have like... a month until graduation. You don't have a lot of time." Mark reminds him, and Taehyung's heart flops. I am in way over my head.

"Don't worry," Taehyung forces out a laugh, shoving at Mark's arm. "I've got him wrapped around my finger. It's only a matter of time."
Mark smirks, nodding in satisfaction. "Tick tock Kim."

"Do anticipate," Taehyung grins, playfully bowing, saluting at Mark before stepping into his class.

"Hey hyung," Taehyung chirps, sliding into his seat. Yoongi looks up at him irritably.

"Are you still doing that bet thing?" Yoongi puts his pencil down--no doubt having been working on homework--and turns to face Taehyung. The younger shrugs.

"I thought you said you actually had feelings for Jeongguk," Taehyung eyes snap to Yoongi, eyes darting nervously to make sure no one else heard the words.

"Don't say it out loud!" Taehyung hisses. Yoongi sighs in exasperation.

"What exactly are you playing at, Tae? You know you can't follow through with the bet and date Jeongguk. "

And of course, Yoongi is right. He's always right. But Taehyung doesn't really want to listen.

There's a panic brewing in his chest, and it's odd and uncomfortable. He wasn't going to take back all the things he said to Jeongguk, because they're true, but he had gotten caught up in the moment.

Maybe he should have just kept his mouth shut.

As if on cue, the boy of Taehyung's thoughts comes shuffling into the classroom. Jeongguk scans the room, and when his gaze lands on Taehyung, his entire face lights up. He waves shyly, cheeks flushing pink, and fuck.

Taehyung turns his head quickly, training his eyes down, and Yoongi kicks him under their shared table.

He considers giving Yoongi the death glare, but before he can do anything, he hears footsteps approaching.

"Oh hey Jeongguk," Yoongi says amicably. He delivers another sharp kick to Taehyung's ankle, making him yelp. Jeongguk looks between them in confusion, before smiling softly.

"Hi Yoongi hyung," Jeongguk is still incredibly intimidated by Yoongi--he had told Taehyung so.

He held the number two spot in the class, right behind Jeongguk, and he had a don't-give-a-shit aura about him. Taehyung tells Jeongguk it's because Yoongi cares too much.

"Taehyung..." Jeongguk says softly, voice lilting up at the end, unsure. Taehyung begrudgingly looks up, not knowing how he's supposed to face the younger.

"Morning Jeongguk." he manages to say. His heart is thudding too fast against his chest.

"I was... wondering if we were going to have... lunch today..." Jeongguk says hesitantly. Which is odd because they'd been having lunch on the roof of the library every day for the last two months now. Why is he asking me now?

"Uhm..." And Taehyung is suddenly nervous, feeling an immense weight on his shoulders and. he's so damn confused.

He shoots Yoongi a panicked look, but the older offers him no help. "Actually... I have something I need to take care of at lunch today, so I don't think I can."

Jeongguk's face falls, and god Taehyung's never felt like more of an asshole. A frown didn't belong on that precious face, but... he needs some space. I don't know what I'm doing anymore.

When he was with Jeongguk, all he thought about was Jeongguk and how happy he was when. they were hanging out together. But then reality hits him, and he realizes how impossible it is for a real relationship to manifest from this.

What have I done?

"I'm sorry, Jeongguk." Taehyung tries to smile apologetically, but Jeongguk's shaking his head quickly.

"No, hyung, it's okay! You can't be hanging out with me every day, right?" He chuckles nervously, shuffling his feet in embarrassment. "I mean yeah. I'm gonna... go back to my seat."

And he's turning on his heels and dashing to his seat at the front of the class.

Taehyung can feel Yoogi's disapproving glare without even looking.

_________________________________

Wattpad is trustrating. Aaaaaahhh 😭😭😭😭😭