One

Jeon Jeongguk

Taehyung hears the heart monitors beeping first. The sound is slow, constant, grating, the only noise in the otherwise silent space. He groans, shifting in the bed, and the beeping becomes more rapid.

His eyelids feel like lead as he tries to pry them open, but his brain seems disconnected with the rest of his body, and it takes a while for him to take control and force them open.

He's in a hospital room-- one of the luxurious ones, no doubt, and his bed is large and comfortable, the space is clean, but the smell... he can't stand the smell.

It's too clean, too sterile, devoid of life and any hint of what the hell happened, but Taehyung figures he'll find out soon enough.

It must have been his heart.

The door opens, and two figures step through. When they notice Taehyung awake and shifting, they run to his side.

"Taehyung!" Hoseok yelps, eyes wide and frantic, tangling his fingers through the bed-ridden man's own.

"Welcome back to the land of the living," Yoongi drawls, hands stuffed in his suit pants pockets, smiling casually, but Taehyung doesn't miss the relief in his eyes. "How're you feelin', champ?"

"Like shit. What happened?" Taehyung asks, voice hoarse from disuse, and he wonders how long he's been in the hospital. His mind is foggy, and his limbs feel like jelly.

"See for yourself," Yoongi says, finding the remote to the massive flatscreen television on the wall facing the bed, and flips to one of the major news channels.

"Media outlets have been packed outside Seoul General Hospital for the past five days, waiting for information after hotel mogul Kim Taehyung of Rise Enterprises reportedly fainted after a press conference for their luxury suites chain opening in Thailand next month. The Rise Enterprise group has not yet issued an official statement on the well being of Mr. Kim, but reports speculate that he has undergone major heart surgery a few days ago, under renowned cardiac surgeon, Dr.- "

The screen goes black when Yoongi switches the television off, and Taehyung turns to the man, mouth dry.

"I fainted?" Taehyung asks after a moment.

"Went splat, right on the ground." Yoongi grins, and Hoseok gives him a dirty look.

"Backstage, after you gave your speech. Luckily no reporters saw it, but they definitely noticed the emergency helicopter outside the venue," Hoseok elaborates, frowning. "A doctor should come in and explain everything to you, now that you're awake."

"Was it...?" Taehyung doesn't need to finish.

"Yeah, it was." Yoongi nods.

"God I hope this doesn't affect the stocks," Taehyung groans, digging his head back into the pillows.

"If anything, it's going to make the prices go up. Rise is up 5% since last week," Yoongi smiles.

"Everyone thinks you've been overworking yourself, and the public loves to hear about the dedicated, hardworking CEO."

Taehyung sighs, letting his eyes wander over the patterns on the ceiling. He's just relieved this happened after the conference.