2⃣6⃣

We'll protect each other

"Master Taehyung." One of the butlers is standing at the doorway of Taehyung's game room.

He'd been in the middle of a wild race on Mario Kart, but he puts down his controller when he notices the man.

"Yes?"

"Master Jeongguk is here to see you," he says, but his voice is grave, and his eyes clouded in worry.

Everyone who worked at the mansion knew Jeongguk at this point and adored him. It was enjoyable when Jeongguk was here so his butler's tone throws Taehyung off.

"Right now?" Taehyung asks. It's almost midnight on a Friday and there's a storm picking up outside.

"Yes, Master Taehyung. He's in the living room. It's not... It seems serious."

Taehyung is up in a heartbeat, sprinting through the halls and down the steps, into the sprawling living room. He sees the back of Jeongguk's form, wrapped up in a blanket and shivering.

"J-Jeongguk?" Taehyung's voice wobbles with concern as he approaches and as he gets closer he notices Jeongguk's dripping wet hair. The younger boy turns towards his voice and when Taehyung sees his face he feels like his heart stops for too long.

In an instant Taehyung is crouching down in front of Jeongguk, cupping his bloody, steadily-bruising face. Jeongguk has a bruised cheek, a split lip, and he's bleeding from three scratch marks below his left ear.

As soon as Taehyung is within reach, Jeongguk reaches out to him, winding his arms around his neck and sobbing into his shoulder. It feels like he holds Jeongguk for an eternity, letting the younger soak his shirt with tears and rainwater as he clings on for dear life.

Taehyung's mind is racing a mile a minute, trying to wrap his mind around the idea of anyone wanting to hurt his precious Jeongguk. After a few minutes, Jeongguk's shoulders stop shaking so much and the tears stop. Taehyung pulls Jeongguk away gently to look at him.

"W-what happened?" Taehyung asks, raising his hand tentatively to brush at Jeongguk's cheek; he still can't believe the bruise darkening there is real.
Jeongguk winces and a violent shiver wrackc through him. The fireplace is crackling with warmth, but Jeongguk is completely soaked through. As if on cue, thunder rumbles from outside.

"You know what, let's get you cleaned up first, okay?" Taehyung knows Jeongguk could get extremely sick if he doesn't get a warm shower soon. Jeongguk nods shakily, and Taehyung helps him up.

Jeongguk limps, holding tightly to Taehyung as they take the stairs up to his room. He guides Jeongguk into his bathroom and goes to the tub, running the hot water.

"I'm going to run you a bath and get you some warm clothes, alright?" Jeongguk nods and watches as Taehyung rummages through his closet for a shirt, a sweater, clean boxers, and pajama pants, before folding them neatly on the counter. He then goes to the tub--nearly full, and sticks his hand in to make sure the water is a comfortable temperature.

"Okay Gukkie. Take as long as you need, and tell me if you need help, okay?" Jeongguk just nods again. "Do you want anything to eat or drink?"

"Do you have ginger tea?" Jeongguk whispers.

"I'm sure we do." Taehyung smiles softly. "It'll be waiting for you when you're out, okay?" He steps forward to kiss Jeongguk gently on the forehead.

"Let me know if you need anything."

He steps out and closes the door behind him. His hands are shaking, and he feels nauseous, but he needs to stay calm for Jeongguk. So he runs down to the kitchen for someone to make some tea, before rummaging around for a first aid kit.