Thirteen

Harder than I Thought

When Taehyung comes back to school, it causes a big stir. He just tells people that his brother took him for a holiday in Europe (which is somewhat true).

"You okay?" Yoongi asks him as they wait for the bell to ring, so they can be dismissed for lunch. Taehyung slouches in his chair, making a face.

"Not really. Apparently the meds aren't working so they have to put me on new ones," Taehyung flicks at the scrap of paper on his desk.

Yoongi frowns in concern. "Do you know why they're not working? Maybe--"

"Don't know, don't care." Taehyung clicks his tongue, and Yoongi rolls his eyes.

"You should really take more care, Tae, it's not healthy--" And then the bell rings, and Taehyung lets out a relieved sigh, eyes snapping to the young boy with the mop of black hair and bunny teeth at the front of the classroom.

Today, he's determined to get to Jeongguk. He needs to crack the younger's walls.

"Hey you brat! I wasn't done talking to you!" Yoongi calls out as Taehyung hops out of his seat and gathers up his things, keeping Jeongguk constantly in his line of sight. He ignores the people in the halls who wave to him and keeps his focus on Jeongguk, following a few steps behind.

Taehyung begins doubting his split-second decision when he finds himself by the stairwell of the library's top floor.

How the fuck did I even get here? he wonders, but there's no time to doubt himself at this point.

He ducks behind one of the book cases when Jeongguk turns around, eyes wide and searching before disappearing through the door. Taehyung counts out five seconds before stepping out and approaching the door.

This is the top floor, Taehyung muses. How higher can I even go? He sighs, adjusting his backpack straps and opening the door slowly. He looks up the steps to check if the coast is clear, and steps inside. He climbs up slowly, afraid that Jeongguk might pop out at any moment, but he chastises himself, because the point was to talk to Jeongguk.

But it feels like I'm a spy, Taehyung reasons, reaching the top of the stairwell. He opens the final door, and he finds himself on the library roof. Of fucking course, dumbass.

His eyes scan the area for any sign of Jeongguk, and the grin on his face slides off when he sees Jeongguk sitting on the ledge, legs dangling off the edge.

"Holy shit don't jump!" Taehyung yells, running at the speed of light to Jeongguk's side. "It gets better I promise, this isn't the way--" He falters when he notices the startled, confused look on the younger boy's face.

"What are you talking about?" Jeongguk speaks up, after what seems like an hour of him just staring at Taehyung. "Why are you here? How did you find me?"

All the confidence and bravado in Taehyung falters as he scrambles for an excuse. I was following you doesn't seem to cut it. And Taehyung can't really think with Jeongguk judging him like this.

"I... came here for fresh air," he says finally, stuffing his hands in his pockets and turning away to look at the view, eyes squinting in an attempt to look like he's serious. Jeongguk's shoulders slump forward, as though he had been expecting a different answer.

A little kindness can go a long way.

Taehyung gulps as his hyung's words run through his head, and he sighs, embarrassment swirling in his stomach.