⇝Back Home

Livia Wade stepped off the Hogwarts Express at Hogsmede village. Her eyes closed for a moment as she took in the familiar smells and sounds.

She was back at Hogwarts. Finally.

Someone threw their arm around Livia's shoulder, making her stumble.

"I'm so happy to be back," Phoebe Badger, a friend of Livia's, sighed with happiness. "No more parents. No more annoying brothers."

Livia turned to look at her friend, who was gazing at Hogwarts castle. "Let's grab a carriage," she suggested. "Before we get left behind and have to spend the night in the Hogs Head."

Phoebe removed her arm from Livia's shoulder. "With that weird bartender? No thank you."

The two girls laughed as they rushed towards the horseless carriages. They got one to themselves and were able to chat freely all the way to the castle.

The Great Hall was bustling with people when Livia and Phoebe arrived. They bid each other goodbye before heading to there respected tables; Phoebe to Gryffindor and Livia to Ravenclaw.

Livia settled herself next to Cora Kent, one of her dorm mates since first year. Cora smiles brightly at Livia, her glasses starting to slide off her nose.

"Hi Livia," Cora said, pushing her glasses up her nose. "How was your summer?"

"Never-ending," Livia replied honestly as she slumped in her seat. "I'm so glad to be back at Hogwarts."

"Me too. I still can't believe we're in our 7th year," Cora sighed. "The time has gone so quickly."

"Don't remind me," Livia groaned. "I don't know what I'd do without Hogwarts."

Their conversation was cut short as the sorting ceremony began. Livia watched on with little interest. Her main entertainment was Phoebe making weird faces at her from across the hall.

She looked away from Phoebe when a familiar name was called out. Livia watched as Noah Wade, her younger brother, made his way towards the sorting hat. She couldn't help but laugh quietly at how tiny he looked.

"What house do you think he'll be in?" Cora whispered to her.

"Not Ravenclaw anyway; he's not smart enough. Well, neither was I so-"

"SLYTHERIN!" The sorting hat cried out. The table of green burst into applause as Noah joined them, looking terrified.

"Well I didn't expect that," Cora muttered as food appeared in front of them.

Livia shrugged. "As long as he doesn't start talking to snakes, I really don't care which house he's in."

The tucked into their dinner, sharing pleasant conversation about their summers.

"Don't look now, but a Slytherin's been staring at you for a while now," Cora told Livia half-way through dessert.

Livia looked despite Cora's warning. She caught the eyes of a dark-haired Slytherin and felt entirely exposed.

"What is Tom Riddle staring at you?!" Cora hissed in her ear.

After a few more seconds, Livia broke the eye contact. "He probably isn't. Just daydreaming, I'd say."

Once dinner ended and student began rising from their seats, Livia made her way towards the Slytherin table, sharing a joke with Phoebe on the way.

"Noah!" Livia called out once her brown-haired brother came into view. Noah grinned at her, a few of his teeth missing, as she came towards him.

"Hi Livia," Noah said, grin fading. "Are you-um-mad?"

Livia raised an eyebrow. "That you're in Slytherin?" When Noah nodded, Livia continued with a chuckle. "Of course not! Just don't go all evil on me, ok?"

Noah smiled and nodded. He began to speak again but Livia wasn't listening.

She had caught the eyes of Tom Riddle once again. They were the average dark brown, but they bore into Livia's soul and made her insides squirm.

"Livia? Are you listening?" Noah asked.

Livia nodded but couldn't speak. Her mouth had gone dry as Tom began moving towards her.

Noah turned to follow his sister's gaze. He too felt intimidated by Tom's tall frame. He backed into Livia's side.

Tom stopped in front of the siblings, his arms hidden behind his back.

"Is there a problem, Riddle?" Livia asked. Her voice betrayed her by shaking slightly.

"No problem," Tom said. "Are you two finished? It's my duty as Head Boy to guide the first years to the Slytherin common room and I don't want to be waiting here all evening."

Livia gripped the back of Noah's robes. "I can bring him. Surely you remembered what it was like to be in first year? You Slytherins aren't the most inviting people, are you?"

A flicker of a smirk appeared on Tom's face. "How will you get in? You don't know the password, or do you?" When Livia didn't reply, Tom continued with a wider smirk. "Noah's in safe hands with me. You should hurry. You're Gryffindor friend seems to be looking for you."

Livia turned to head to see Phoebe looking at her in confusion. When she looked back, Tom and Noah were walking towards the door. Livia frowned as Tom put his hand on her brother's shoulder.

"What was that?" Phoebe asked. "Why were you talking to Tom Riddle?"

"Not by choice," Livia pointed out as they left the Great Hall.

They walked in silence for a moment. "He is kinda hot though, you have to admit," Phoebe said with a girly giggle.

Livia scrunched up her nose. "You can have him. That was the first time I've spoken to him, and hopefully the last."