Chapter 1

It was the fucking Apocalypse and I have to live in this underground place, called Outpost 3. I could imagine something better then living in this dusty place. We were separated into two groups at our arrival. The Grey's and the Purples. The Grey's were the serving guys and the purples could do whatever they wanted to do. I was a purple, but I didn't felt above the Grey's, I didn't even know why they choose for me to be a purple, but hey I will not complain. There were just a few of us in here and the one who gives the orders was Ms. Wilhemina Venable. I was drawn to her the first moment I saw her, but I kept my distance. She was a harsh and mean woman, but so beautiful. So damn beautiful. I was mesmerized by her brown eyes, like a moth with a light. Sometimes I wish I could meet her alone somewhere in the Outpost, but I hadn't gotten a chance, yet.

The only place I could feel alone was in the library. I walked through the heavy doors and greeted the Grey girl at the front desk. I always tried to be nice to them when I saw one or when they helped us purples. In return they did favors for me. I walked through the shelves and my fingers ghosted over the books. I grabbed a random book and surprisingly for me it was Harry Potter. One of my favorites. I sat down on a chair and began to read. Before the Apocalypse I used to listen to music when I read a book, but that was impossible in Outpost 3. In the main room played every day the same song and I was sick of it. I tried to zone it out and observe Ms. Venable. I always made sure I wasn't spotted staring at her, but this time during breakfast she noticed my stare and yelled at me for being rude. I apologized and hurried out of the room.

I was never rude or had the desire to hurt her feelings, but I got lost in her appearance. Her harsh words hit me harder than I thought and that's why I'm currently saving myself inside the library, nose deep down in the book. I knew no other purple would come here and I never saw either Ms. Venable nor Ms. Mead in here. I got lost in my book and hadn't noticed how much time flew by. I was late for dinner and not even a Grey came to remind me of this.

My attention was fully on the book in my lap and I didn't heard the door open and not even the sound of the cane hitting the floor with each step. "Ms (Y/L/N)!" Ms. Venables voice boomed through the quiet library and made me jump out of the seat. The book fell on the floor with a loud thud and I looked at her, like a deer caught in the dark. "Yes Ms. Venable?" I asked quietly and scared. "You're late for dinner! You have nothing important to do in here, that you could forgot about dinner!" she warned me. "I'm... I'm sorry Ms. Venable. I was drawn to my book I read." I looked up at Ms. Venable and thought I saw her eyes soften for a second, but it was gone when I looked more at her. "Go and get something to eat. I don't want you to starve" she said less harsh. "Yes Ms. Venable" I whispered and walked past her, but she grabbed my hand and stopped me. "(Y/N) you look pale. Are you okay?" her tone was soft and that surprised me. "Yeah, it was not in my interest to hurt your feelings earlier Ms. Venable" I whispered and pulled away from her grip. I left the library before she could respond anything. My hands shot up to my eyes and I wiped the tears away.