Chapter One

Chapter One:
Pretty Redhead
.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.

Marriage. Marriage between man and wife had been all Mabel had known throughout her life. She had been taught that her only purpose was to get married and have children. To feed her family and clean the house.

That's what she had been taught her entire life. Her parents wanted her to be like her sister, Elizabeth. Elizabeth had been married already, and she was only eighteen recently. She had just returned from her finishing school in Spain, too.

Her eldest brother was not yet married, but in school abroad, as well. He was a year younger than Elizabeth. That was her parents plans for the rest of her siblings, and her, too. They were sending Catharine, who would be turning sixteen next year, to Italy for her schooling right after her seventeenth birthday.

Edward, he was only ten months older than her, but he liked to use that to his advantage as often as possible, would be sent to England or Ireland, he hadn't decided yet.

Mabel wasn't sure where she'd be sent. She wasn't ready to go, even if she had four years left here.

After she finished finishing school, her parents wanted her to be married within the year. Idealy to a wealthy man, but they weren't too picky with that. As long as their daughter was happy with him.

But something felt wrong with that idea. Mabel wasn't sure what it was, but she knew something felt wrong about it.

Maybe she didn't even want to be married. She'd have to be, anyways. Her parents would never stand for an unwed daughter. That could ruin their reputation!

Mabel sighed as these thoughts ran rampant throughout her mind. She didn't want to disappoint her family, yet she just couldn't shake the dread that she felt at the thought of marrying a man.

"And he looked at me and smiled! Mabel, he noticed me! Gilbert and I are destined to be together! I know it."  The golden haired girl exclaimed excitedly as the pair walked down the path. 

"I'm sure of that, Ruby." Mabel commented, her dark hair bouncing as she nodded her head. Even in their conversation, she could hear her brother and one of his friends talking loudly behind the pair of girls. Her mother insisted that a boy walk with her everyday. For protection, or something.

Ruby giggled, "I'm going to sit with Diana today."

"So you can gaze at Gilbert?" She rose her left eyebrow teasingly.

Ruby's face flushed, and she averted her gaze to the school house in front of them. They glanced at each other and ran up to their friends.

After putting their milk into the ice cold water, they began a conversation with each other.

Mabel shivered as a gust of cold wind blew through the area.

"Ca-Can we go inside? I'm cold." Mabel suggested, her hands rubbing against her arms.

Josie rolled her eyes and crossed her arms, "You're always so cold. It's not even that cold out."

"Josie, come on-" Mabel's eyebrows furrowed, "Not now."

Jsoie scoffed, "Okay, fine."

The group of girls began making their way inside the schoolhouse, and Mabel felt grateful for the warmth it brought.

The girls continued their conversation, when Ruby's eyes fell upon a figure who walked through the door.

Warmth and love filled them, until they flickered to something else. Her mouth fell open in shock and she glared.

Mabel turned her head and tilted it when she noticed someone she had never seen before.

"Diana.. Who is that?" Mabel leaned over and whispered, her brown eyes scanning the new girl.

"That's Anne. With an 'E'. Don't forget the 'E', as she gets quite upset."

"Anne-"

"And she's talking to Gilbert! How dare she?" Ruby gasped, crossing her arms. "I have dibs!"

"Ruby, you simply can't call dibs on a human." Mabel sighed, "Even so, she's new. She wouldn't know."

Josie scoffed as the new girl, er, Anne, walked out of the building to put her milk in the water. "She will now."

"Josie-"

"Hush!"

The group of girls quickly followed behind her as she stomped toward Anne.

The cold air hit Mabel's face as they left the building. She felt bad for Anne. She didn't know anything about how Ruby felt. She didn't even know Ruby.

"I don't know what you think you're doing walking with Gilbert Blythe!" She hissed, crossing her arms.

"I-" Anne stuttered, only to be cut off by Tillie.

"You can't talk to Gilbert! You can't even look at him."

Josie slipped an arm around a crying Ruby, "Ruby has liked him for three years! She has dibs. There, there, that nasty girl didn't know any better."

Nasty? This girl wasn't nasty. In fact, Mabel noticed that she was actually quite pretty when she saw her up close.

"I'm sorry! I didn't mean to walk with him.. it just happened." She explained, a hint of hurt lacing her tone.

"Well, don't let it happen again!"

"I won't. I promise! I'll have nothing to do with him."

Tillie, Josie, and Ruby walked away. Leaving Diana and Mabel staring at Anne.

"I'll try to smooth things over." With that, Diana walked away. Mabel stayed as she continued to watch Anne.

"I'm sorry for her." She spoke up, taking several steps forward so that she was closer to the girl.

Anne nodded, "It was my fault."

"It wasn't-" Mabel started, but then she remembered the lecture on disrespectfulness her mother gave her. "Nevermind that. My name is Mabel."

"Your name is Maple? Like.. Maple as in syrup?" Anne asked, confused.

"No, Mabel. With a 'B'. Though, my family does work in the maple syrup industry.

"Oh! Mabel!" Anne exclaimed, smiling, "Well, my name is Anne. Anne with an-"

"With an 'E'. I know, Diana told me" Mabel nodded, "You can sit with me today, if you'd like. I'm not sitting with anyone, as Ruby wants to sit with Diana."

Anne smiled, "Thank you, but, Diana offered to sit with me today."

Mabel nodded, observing that Anne's smile was quite pretty.

"Alright, well," She lifted her hand, "Friends?"

"Really?" Her eyes began to tear up, "You wanna be friends with me?"

"Yes, really." Mabel giggled,wiggling fingers as a sign.

Anne let out a small laugh as she intertwined their fingers. "Friends."

.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.

{ Word Count: 1092 }

{ A/n: I'm so excited to get this chapter out! As you read, my baby Mabel is already questioning the ideals of marriage. I'm excited to get this story started! }

{ Edited: No }