Chapter Two

Chapter Two:
American Name
.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.

Six months had passed since that day they met. Anne and Mabel had become incredibly close, closer than Mabel had been with anyone else.

She felt as if she could tell Anne anything. They would talk for hours about nothing, yet about everything at the same time.

She, along with Diana, would walk with Anne to school nearly every day. Her mother no longer had Edward walk with them. She felt as if Mabel was old enough. So, it was only Diana, Anne, and herself. Mabel felt like they were the three musketeers.

She remembered recieving that book from her grandmother at Christmas last year. She loved that book.

"I was doing research in names for Mr. Phillips and I found that 'Barnes' is a traditionally American name." Anne said, "But this isn't America, so, I was wondering why your last name is Barnes."

"Oh! Well, my great grandpa lived in Vermont. That's in America, as you know, but when his father, my great-great grandfather, got into maple syrup, he moved up here and planted a lot of trees on our property." Mabel explained, "And the family's had all boys until Elizabeth, then Catherine, and me. So that's why we have the name 'Barnes'."

"Oh! That is so divine!" Anne squealed, her freckled face lighting up in excitement. "Especially to know so far back into your heritage!"

"Yes! He moved back to America before I was born. I hardly see him because of that. Only once or twice a year."

"Mabel and her family go down to Vermont to celebrate Thanksgiving with them each year." Diana explained, using her hand to gesture to Mabel.

"Thanksgiving?" Anne questioned, slightly confused.

"Yes. It's a holiday celebrating the.. the, um.."

"The what?" Anne pressed, excited to know more about America.

"I don't know, joining? Between the settlers and the natives."

Diana nodded, "Mother let me go with her two years ago. There was more food than I've ever seen before-"

Diana was cut off by a gasp from Mabel, "Maybe Marilla will let you join me!"

Anne's face grew into a smile, "That would be amazing!"

Mabel nodded, "It would be! Though it is several months away."

The girls nodded in agreement, waving to Jane and Ruby as they approached the school house.

Mabel walked over to the pond to put in her milk.

"I simply don't understand why you and Diana walk with that ugly maid everday. It's terribly upset Ruby, as well. She thinks that you've abandoned her." Josie sighed, an annoyed look on her face.

"I haven't abandoned Ruby. I walk home with her twice a week." Mabel replied, "And Anne isn't ugly, nor a maid. She's quite beautiful, actually."

"Are we looking at the same Anne?" Josie scoffed, raising her brows and crossing her arms.

"She's better than you are, especially personality wise."

Josie scoffed and flipped her golden curls, though Mabel knew those weren't real, and walked away.

Mabel stood and shook her head, "Nasty girl.."

Mabel turned and walked towards a rock pile, where Tillie sat with Jane and Ruby.

"Hi, girls!" Mabel greeted, sitting and smoothing out her purple dress.

"Are you going to walk home with me today?" Ruby asked, her blue eyes wide with hope.

"I can, if you'd like." Mabel nodded, placing her lunch basket beside her.

They began talking amongst themselves, Jane gazing longingly at a boy. When Mabel turned to see who she was looking at.

"Jane! Are you staring at my brother?"  Mabel gasped, glancing back and forth between the two.

Jane's face went red, "I was not!"

Tillie and Ruby gasped, glancing at each other knowingly, "Jane and Edward sitting in a tree K-I-S-S-I-N-G!"

Jane's face fell redder, if that were possible. "Ruby, Tillie, come on-"

"Think about it, Jane Barnes! Oh, it sounds so nice!"

Jane's face continued to redden, "And then you and Mabel could be sisters!" Tillie exclaimed excitedly.

That caused Mabel to smile, she loved Jane dearly, and already felt as if they were sisters.

"Maybe he'll ask to walk you home tonight!" Mabel said, "I can ask him to, if you'd like."

Jane shrugged, and Mabel could tell that she was nervous.

She opened her mouth to answer, but Mabel had already stood and began walking over to Edward, who stood with Charlie and Moody.

"Eddie! I have something to ask you." Mabel called, glancing briefly over to Anne, who stood with Diana by the pond.

"Can you walk Jane home today?" Mabel asked, hiding a grin when pink spread across his cheeks. "Billy's been walking Josie home. And it's starting to get dark early soon."

Edward nodded, "Yeah, yes, um, tell her I can do that."

Mabel nodded, and turned around briskly. She rose her hand and formed a thumbs up. Instead of going back to the girls, she walked over to Anne and Diana. Trying not to giggle as she heard the teasing and hollers coming from the boys behind her.

When the bell for school to begin rang, Mabel once again changed her direction and headed towards the doors of the school house.

"Oh, why thank you, Moody." Mabel smiled when he opened the door for her.

"Ye-Yes, of course." Moody nodded, scratching the back of his neck.

Diana giggled as she followed her into the school room.

"I think someone's got a crush on you." Diana cooed quietly, as she put her coat on the hook.

"Oh, here, let me help." Anne offered, after seeing that Mabel had been struggling with her own.

Mabel nodded, spinning around so that Anne could try to untie the knot.

She felt her cheeks heat up as their hands brushed together as Mabel, too, tried to help untie it. She prayed no one would notice this exchange, especially not Josie Pye or Ruby Gillis.

Her life would surely be over if either of them noticed her blushing at Anne's touch.

Yet, she couldn't stop her heart from racing as she glanced up at the pretty redhead.

.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.

{ Word Count: 1044 }

{ A/n: Would I die for Anne? Yes. Who would die for Mabel? Me. Am I okay rn? Ahh.
Was that a tiktok reference? Possibly. }

{ Edited: No }