Chapter Twenty-Three

Chapter Twenty-Three:
"What? No, I'm Not!"
.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.

Mabel sat across from Sebastian on the train, her eyes focusing on the lush green as the train sped over the tracks. Anne's movement in her peripheral vision caused her to turn her head.

She smiled to herself when she saw Anne grab Sebastian's hand for comfort. She had always been so kind.  Sebastian looked down at her hand, a brief moment of confusion flashing in his eyes as he moved his other hand to rest on top of hers. "Thank you, but not a good idea."

Anne furrowed her eyebrows, turning her head to look at the couple gossiping in the other aisle.

Mabel frowned, stretching her legs. "Why must people be so.. discriminatory?"

"That will certainly always be a mystery to me." Gilbert agreed, nodding his head towards Mabel.

~~

"Cole!" Mabel shouted, jumping from the carriage and rushing towards him. "Cole!"

Cole turned, just in time to see Mabel for a split second before she tossed her arms around his neck, letting her legs fall freely as he picked her up. Anne smiled, passing them and entering the house to greet Aunt Jo.

"Woah!" Cole laughed, wrapping his arms around her waist and spinning her around. "Mabel.."

She buried her head in his neck as she closed her eyes, relishing in the happiness she felt.

Mabel smiled up at him, her arms slipping from his shoulders to his upper arms. "Oh, my, have I missed you!"

Cole nodded, taking her hand in his own as he led her up the stairs. "The art lessons are spectacular!"

Mabel grinned as Cole led her to where Anne and Aunt Jo had disappeared to. "Cole, I'm simply so happy for you!"

Cole thanked her as he shut the door behind the two. Mabel furrowed her eyebrows, stifling a laugh as she saw Anne's struggle.

Anne huffed, jumping and trying to pull up the skirt.

"Would you like any help?" Mabel offered, folding her hands in her lap as Cole rested his hand on the back of the chair behind her.

"No, thank you!" Anne huffed, jumping again. "It's kind of hard to explain, other than to say that it feels right that I finish the search on my own."

Mabel nodded to herself, forgetting that she wouldn't be joining Anne on this journey. She was quite alright with that, as long as it meant she got to spend time with Cole. She hadn't seen him in months. The last time she had seen him was at the time of her near death experience.

"Mabel, dear, how ever did you get your parents to agree to let you come see us?" Aunt Jo asked, sipping her tea.

The corner of her lips turned up, "They think I'm at the Barry's. Which, technically, I am. I certainly hope they don't run into Mr. or Mrs. Barry.. that would be a tragedy for me.." Mabel explained, brushing her hair behind her ear. "I would never be allowed out of the house again."

"Thank you all, a million times over for believing me mature enough, unlike Marilla." Mabel stifled a laugh, gently setting her tea on the table. Seconds later, Anne stepped out from behind the divider.