Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten:
And Suddenly, It All Made Sense.
.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.

"This is absolutely, positively outrageous!" Anne cried, slamming Mabel's door shut behind her. Mabel jumped, spinning around to see who it was.

"Oh my word! Anne! You scared me." Mabel said calmly, placing her hand against her rapidly beating heart. "I thought we talked about this?"

"Right! Right, sorry, sorry, I'm sorry!" Anne apologized, leaving the room and closing the door behind her. Mabel sighed, going to stand up and get her.

The door opening, much softer and quieter interrupted her. Anne appeared and softly shut the door behind her. "This is absolutely, positively outrageous!" Anne repeated, pacing around the room. "Unbelievable! A tragedy!"

"What is?" Mabel asked, her voice soft as she stood. She stepped over to Anne, helping her onto the bed. "What happened, Anne? Is it another book character having difficulties? If so, please don't tell me the end-"

"No! Well, yes, actually, but no!" Anne cried, falling back onto the bed. Mabel adjusted herself so that she was looking at Anne. Her right hand rested next to Anne's head and her left gently took Anne's into her own.

"What is it?" Mabel squeezed Anne's hand gently, a way to comfort the redheaded girl.

"So, Diana, you, and I are going to Aunt Jo's party, right?" Anne's eyes were wide as she looked up at Mabel.

"Mhm.." Mabel hummed, raising her eyebrows.

"Wrong!" Anne suddenly shouted, startling Mabel. "Oh, sorry, but wrong! We are not allowed to go without a chaperone."

"A chaperone?" Mabel questioned, her eyebrows furrowed. "What about Diana's father? Mr. Barry?"

"He has the tiniest of colds! And Diana, nor I, nor you are allowed to travel without a male chaperone!"

"You're right! That's absolutely ridiculous!" Mabel agreed.

"I know! A chaperone!" Anne confirmed, "Can you believe it?"

"A.. chaperone.. like, a boy?"

"Yes! Unbelievable! Outrageous, right?  This entire world is ruled by boys!"

"Ri-Right.."

"This is absolutely- Wait!" Anne suddenly shot up, and grabbed Mabel's shoulders, with her free hand, nearly knocking her back onto her bed.

"What?"

"You have a brother!" Anne pointed at her after letting go of the grip she held on Mabel's shoulder.

"Yes, two, actually." Mabel confirmed with a nod, "Wh-"

"My point is, can't he chaperone us?" Anne's eyes lit up suddenly and her entire face seemed to brighten. "He used to when we walked to school, so, I figured that maybe he'd do this for us, or, moreso you, but there's a chance. Can he?"

"He can, yes, bu-"

"Perfect! Let's go ask him!" Anne shot off the bed, forgeting that their hands were still connected.

Mabel fell to the ground, pulling Anne with her.

"Ow, you really must stop doing that.." Mabel grunted, even if her heart sped up and she knew she didn't want Anne to stop.

But she didn't know why. Or, maybe she did, deep down, but ignored it.

"Let's go ask him!" Anne shouted excitedly, "Oh, I can't wait to tell Diana!"