Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve:
In For Three, Out For Three, In For Three, Out For Three
.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.

( tw: panic attacks, sexual assault )

"It is so terribly disappointing that Marilla said no to you joining my family and I." Mabel sighed, a puff of air surrounding her from the cold.  "It would've been so nice to have you meet my family."

Anne nodded in agreement, "I tried my best to convince her.. but it didn't work. She said it was too adventurous."

Mabel frowned wiping a tear from her face. "That's unfortunate.."

Anne nodded in agreement, her eyes drifting to the boat Mabel was about to board.

"I'll miss you, Anne." Mabel smiled tearfully at the redhead, "So very dearly."

Anne sniffled as she pulled her into a tight hug, "Only for a month, though, right?"

Mabel nodded, wiping her eyes, "Ye-Yes.. And then I'll be back before Christmas!"

Mabel left out the part where she'd have something special for Anne.

"And you'll write to me, everyday, right?" Anne's hands slipped from Mabel's shoulders to her mitten covered hands. "And you promise to tell me everything?"

"Right. I promise." Mabel confirmed, smiling softly at her. Her heartbeat increased as Anne smiled down at her and held her hand in her own. "Everything."

"And you're sure you're okay?" Anne asked, squeezing her hand, "After.. you know.. after Moody?"

Mabel cringed, remembering how she ended things with him the day before.

"Mhm. I'm okay, it just.." Mabel trailed off, not sure how to explain it. "Didn't feel right to be with him..."

Anne nodded, "Don't fret too much, I'm sure there's so many men waiting for your hand."

Mabel blushed looking away, though her heart did ache.

She wished she could just say it, scream it: but I want you, Anne.

But she couldn't.. because Anne didn't want her. She couldn't because that would ruin their friendship, and Mabel valued that far too much to do anything to risk it.

"If you say so.." Mabel smiled, "I'll see you in thirty-one days, Anne."

"In thirty-one days." Anne confirmed, planting a kiss on Mabel's cheek, "Until we're reunited."

~~

The travel was rough and Mabel was exhausted. Purely exhausted.

All she wanted to do was to crawl into her bed and sleep for hours. Days, weeks, months, maybe even years.

But she couldn't. No, no, no. She had to greet all of her relatives with a smile on her face as if she hadn't just spent the last two days in a rocky boat and then the next two in a loud train.

"Aunt Betty." Mabel smiled towards an elderly couple, "Uncle Joseph."

Mabel greeted all of her cousins with a smile, answering each of the questions she was roped into.