Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven:
You're Perfect, Too
.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.

Mabel laughed loudly as Anne laid down in the boat, "Be careful, Anne!"

"She does really look dead." Ruby whispered to Jane and Mabel, "My mother said all play acting is abominable and wicked."

"Ruby you must not mention your mother as this was hundreds of years before she was born." Anne explained, not opening her eyes. "It ruins it."

"Diana!" Mrs. Barry gasped in horror as she saw her daughter.

"U-Uh, mother!" Diana quickly stood, backing away in horror. Anne quickly stood, getting out of the boat and moving to stand by Mabel.

"I've been calling! You were to be practicing lessons! And, and here I find you engaged in perilous... senseless.. oh, whatever this is!" She shouted, looking around at the girls in disappointment.

"We were practicing lessons.. in a way." Anne defended, stepping closer to Mabel. Mabel felt her face redden in blush, and hoped no one would notice.

"We're studying the poem Lancelot and Elaine at school and we decided to reenact it-" Diana tried to explain, but her mother cut her off.

"Diana. Home. Now. You girls as well, before you catch your death."

"But the girls just got here and we were simply-" Diana tried again, but yet again, her mother cut her off.

"Diana! I will be heard."

Diana slowly walked from her spot, Jane and Ruby following closely behind her.

"Anne. Be on your way, please." Mrs. Barry said, "You as well, Mabel."

Mrs. Barry didn't seem happy that Mabel was not joining her, instead choosing to stay with Anne.

She hoped that she would not complain to her mother about it. She was technically supposed to be somewhere else, too.

Anne sighed, watching the girls walk away. "So much for romance.."

"Do, um, you can come back to my house.. if you'd like?" Mabel asked nervously, "You don't have too, I'm only asking."

Anne nodded, causing Mabel to grin widely. Mabel raised her hand, indicating she wanted Anne to take it.

"Shall we?" Anne's bright smile returned and a giggle left her perfect lips. Mabel refused to acknowledge her own thoughts about Anne's lips.

Anne slipped her mittened hand into Mabel's before speaking, "We shall."

Mabel grinned, pulled Anne along, her heartbeat increasing as Anne's grip tightened on her hand.

"Woah!" Anne laughed, stumbling forward and accidentally knocked Mabel over. Seconds later, Anne tripped as well.

"Umph!" Mabel groaned as Anne fell on top of her. "Ouch.."

Anne gasped, placing both her hands beside Mabel's head to push herself up.

Mabel opened her eyes, her breath hitching in her throat as she stared at the girl hovering over her. Mabel felt her heartbeat quicken even more, and her nerves increased.