Chapter Twenty-Five

Chapter Twenty-Five:
A Little Defiance Never Hurt Anyone
.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.

"Oh, Anne! This is so exciting!" Mabel cheered as she looked up at the hot air baloon. "Woah.."

"Simply thrilling!" Anne agreed, squealing as she turned to Mabel.

"It's a death trap." Marilla shook her head.

"Oh, Anne, look! It's Ka'kwet's family." Mabel said, pointing to the children who stood with their mother. Anne gasped, excitedly waving to them.

Mabel stared around in awe as Anne pulled her through the crowds towards the tent. "Come along!"

"Anne, Anne, slow down!" Marilla scolded, increasing her speed to catch up with the girls. She pulled Mabel into the shade of the tent, causing Mabel to sigh in relief.

"Oh, the heat is so... excessive." Mabel breathed heavily, leaning on her knees.

Anne nodded in agreement as she placed her dessert on the table. "Representing our little Avonlea in front of the entire.. Well, usually it would make me tremble to think of.. But with you by my side and with Mary's recipe, I know I will distinguish myself."

"Oh, Anne.. It truly is beautiful. Not as beautiful as you, of course, but.. Regardless." Mabel smiled up at Anne, her cheeks tinting pink.

"I must admit I'm surprised you made such a sensible cake." Marilla examined it, readjusting the bag she held in her hands.

Mabel nodded in agreement, "It is quite simple, I'd imagine you put on some beautiful flowers."

"It doesn't have your usual flair."

Anne winked, pulling out to jars and holding them up. Mabel nodded to herself, seeing the floral decorations. "Huh, makes sense."

"You shouldn't have shared your secret Plum Puff recipe, Marilla." Mrs. Lynde smiled to herself, placing the basket on the table.

"You wouldn't." Marilla looked back at Mabel, who held a shocked expression on her face. Mrs. Lynde smirked, pulling off the towel to reveal small round cakes.

"You're right. I value our friendship too dearly... and my life."

"This is for you.." Matthew handed Marilla a small piece of paper. "I set mine down already. So far, I don't see a bigger one."

Mabel waved to Jack as he arrvived with his wife. "Anne, can we go explore? Please? I'd like to avoid my parents completely, if that's possible."

"Soon, soon.." Anne smiled at her, "Soon. You do think my cake is lovely, right?"

"The lovliest cake around.." Mabel sighed dreamily.

"I can't believe I'm number sixteen, too!"

"Quite a good omen, I'd say.." Marilla searched through her purse as she spoke.

Matthew handed Anne a coin, "Here's whatever suits your fancy."

Mabel smiled to herself. She really liked Matthew, he reminded her of her other uncle. The man turned to her, placing a coin in her hand as well. "And for you."