Chapter Four

Chapter Four:
Gold
.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.

The Cuthbert's had two men living with them now. They both claimed to have found gold in Avonlea.

Mabel couldn't believe it! Gold in Avonlea? It sounded so thrilling to her!

Though, one of the men felt weird to her. Nate. He just seemed... off to her. He reminded her of her uncle.

She did not like her uncle one bit.

The other man she liked just fine, though! He was teaching Anne to bake and cook.

Sometimes Mabel would sit and watch her bake. She enjoyed those parts of her day. The parts where she and Anne could just sit in silence together, simply enjoying the other's company.

Mabel thought that maybe she shouldn't be spending this much time with Anne. Just until she got her thoughts under control.

But she couldn't help herself. She had already tried that a few months ago. It didn't go well.

When Anne showed up at her house, her beautifully freckled face stained with tears, Mabel began to crack. And when her lip began to quiver and she stuttered out one simple question, "What did I do wrong?"

Mabel couldn't help but feel her heart break as she pulled her into her arms, "Nothing. You didn't do anything wrong, Anne."

After that, Mabel never even thought of distancing herself from Anne again.  She couldn't bear to see her so hurt like that again. Especially if she were the cause.

Besides, she didn't want to. Not anymore. She was happy, extremely happy, around Anne.

It felt like she made Mabel's world better. She definitely made-

"Mabel!" Anne shouted, interrupted her thoughts.

"Hm?"

"Can you read this letter for me? I want it to be good enough for Gilbert."  Anne explained, handing a piece of paper. Mabel's smile fell slightly, a hint of pain striking her heart.

"Oh, of- of course!" Mabel smiled, though it was fake, as she took the letter from Anne's hands.

She began scanning the letter, briefly reading it. Although her heart wasn't in it. All her heart could feel was the striking pain whenever Anne mentioned Gilbert.

Oh No! I couldn't possibly have a crush on that Gilbert Blythe? No, no.. I couldn't do that to Ruby.

No, no.. But then why do I get so jealous when Anne speaks of him? 

Mabel sighed and handed the letter back to Anne. "It's just fine, Anne."

"Just fine? No, no. Mabel, it has to be perfect!" Anne exclaimed, roughly taking the letter from Mabel's hands.

"Why do you care so much? Do you like him?" Mabel didn't mean the question to come out so bitterly.

"What?" Anne shrieked, "No! There is nothing, nothing, romantical about this situation! I'm simply telling him that there's gold on his farm!"

Mabel hummed, leaning back against the wall, "Okay. If you say so."

Anne studied Mabel in silence, causing Mabel to panic. She knew something was wrong. "Mabel? Is something wrong?"

"Yes." Mabel replied after thinking for a few seconds. Anne didn't seem to believe her, but she knew not to push Mabel too far.

She simply nodded and placed the letter beside her. Mabel felt bad for sounding so bitter earlier, she really didn't mean to.

Mabel sighed, letting her head fall down as Mabel continued to bake in silence.

Finally, Mabel managed to break her trance on her feet. She looked up to Anne looked up at her, the sun hittting her blue eyes.

Mabel's breath hitched in her throat as her eyes shimmered. The sunlight made Anne even more beautiful, if that were possible.

Mabel's eyes widened as she looked away, breathing out a puff of air. She nearly got caught staring at Anne.

She didn't even know why she would be staring at Anne. It's just Anne. They had been friends for over a year now! Yet the thoughts continued to run rampant throughout Mabel's mind.

No matter how hard she tried to push down the thoughts, it's as if she couldn't. As if it were physically and mentally impossible to do that.

And to be honest, Mabel wasn't sure if she even wanted the thoughts of Anne to go away.

That scared her. More than anything ever had before. More than the darkness outside her window at night. More than that uncle of hers.

She looked out the window at the setting sun, "I should probably leave. It's getting dark out, and mother would like me home before supper."

Anne's smile faltered, "Oh, yeah, I understand."

Mabel smiled, and patted Anne on the hand as she walked by. "See-See you later."

The simple touch sent electricity through Mabel's body.

She shook off the feeling as she pulled the purple coat over her shoulders. Mabel's hand rested on the doorknob after she pulled it open. "Bye, Anne."

Then, she left. She fixed her hat as she walked down the steps.

"Bonjour, Jerry!" She greeted the hired hand as she passed him. He waved back and opened the gate for her as she began her walk home.

"Why, hello, Mabel." Nate greeted, tipping his hat as he passed.

"Um, hi.." She whispered, before speeding up as she passed the man. Mabel shuddered as she turned around and saw the man staring at her.

Her eyes widened as she gulped. She spun around and continued on her way, faster than she had before.

That man was definitely no good. Mabel wished Anne could see it. She was worried about Anne, very worried.

Anne was a very trusting girl, and she would be easily hurt in the wrong hands. Mabel wanted to protect her. She wanted to protect Anne from anything or anyone that could hurt her.

She didn't deserve anymore pain. Mabel never wanted to be the cause of that. No, Mabel wanted to be the cause of Anne's happiness.

Mabel wanted to be the cause of Anne's smile, of her heart racing, of the butterflies in her stomach as they spoke.

Not only did the thought of Anne bringing butterflies to Mabel's stomach scare her, but also that she wanted that for Anne, too.

This whole situation scared her, and she didn't know where to even begin to crush these fears. That scared her, too.

.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.

{ Word Count: 1066 }

{ A/n: Mabel is 🥺🥺🥺. And yes, yes I would die for her. Posting chapter two of my cole fic tonight btw! }

{ Edited: No }