Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine:
"To Me, You're Still As Beautiful As Ever, Anne."
.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.

Anne didn't show up to walk with Mabel and Diana. That worried Mabel. It made her wonder if Anne was sick or something.

But, nonetheless, she went about her walk with Diana. Though, her mind did wander back to Anne. She so desperately hoped that she wasn't sick.

Silence fell over the girls as the wind blew their hair behind them. It was a comfortable silence, though.

Diana and Mabel didn't need to be talking all the time, they could just enjoy each other's company.

Mabel giggled to herself as she hung her hat up onto the coat rack.

"Is Anne not here?" Mabel asked, looking around the room confused. She had convinced herself that Anne had just arrived at school early for her studies.

"No. She hasn't arrived yet. Why?" Jane asked, leaning forward onto her elbows. "But Gilbert is back! Can you believe it? Ruby is certainly happy."

Mabel's mouth fell open in shock as she began stuttering, "W-Waig wh-what? Gilbert.. what? He's back?"

Jane rose a brow, her blue eyes scanning Mabel's face. "Uh, yes? Are you okay?"

"I'm fine!" Mabel squeaked out, her mind racing with thoughts. She wondered how Anne would react to this.

Jane said something else that Mabel didn't quite catch.

Mabel shrugged in response, turning her head when the door opened. Diana motioned her over with widened eyes.

"Um, excuse me, Jane." Mabel smiled nervously, excusing herself as she stood.

"What's wrong?" Mabel asked worriedly as she stopped next to Diana. "Is Anne alright? Are you alright, Anne?"

"What's wrong? What's wrong is that I'm a monstrosity!" Anne cried out, though her tone was hushed.

"Surely it can't be that awful.." Diana tried to comfort.

"It'll be okay, Anne." Mabel whispered, "You can show us."

"In fact, you best forget me now and forever! I never ever want upon you two.."

"Best take off your hat.." Diana said after briefly glancing at the classroom.

Anne's hand rose shakily to her head. With tears in her eyes, she slowly lifted the hat from her head.

Mabel gasped quietly. Her hair was gone. Now short upon her head.

"Oh, dear.." Diana whispered, her eyes wide. She reached up and untied her bow and handed it to Anne. "I made a promise.. never to forsake thee. Besides.. it's only hair. It'll grow back soon."

Diana tied the bow around her head and smiled gently before turning and walking into the class

"To me, you're still as beautiful as ever." Mabel spoke, taking Anne's hand into her own. She squeezed it comfortingly. Mabel meant that with all of her heart. Anne truly was effortlessly beautiful to Mabel. She lost her breath every time Anne smiled.

"Do you really mean that?" Anne whispered, shock in her eyes, "I-I.. you must be.. surely you're lying to spare my feelings."

"I'm not, Anne. You're the most beautiful girl I've ever seen." Mabel spoke with a sense of confidence, though she didn't know where it came from.

Tears welled up in Anne's eyes as she smiled, "Oh, how you can make any horrible situation better.."

Mabel blushed, her lips curling up as she looked away. "You'll be okay."