Part 5

Chapter 4

Throughout the night more tribes arrived. Hiccup saw that Alvin's delegation and that of Madguts' were staying on opposite sides. The Lava-louts were mingling somewhat though they were staying away from Dagur and his group. The Peaceable tribe had arrived about two hours ago and surprisingly, were the only ones not armed. They were a somewhat odd people Hiccup thought. The wasteland was harsh and could be dangerous but the Peaceable tribe practiced non-aggression.

The delegation from the Wing-maidens wasn't socializing much Hiccup also noted. They were a fairly new tribe formed from remnants of refugees from places that had been extensively plundered so coming face to face with several of these bigger tribes that had stolen from them put them on edge. If he heard the rumors correctly then women were the leading authority there and their Chieftain was fairly young.

The twins had started a bonfire outside and Stoick had ordered meat and drinks to be brought out for their guests to enjoy. The delegates would be given rooms in Area A of the facility where the living quarters were but security had been tightened by Spitelout to prevent them from wandering towards the labs or any other part where there was sensitive equipment.

There were logs scattered around the bonfire where people could sit and Hiccup was leaning on one of these logs while looking at the stars. A shooting star passed by when a shadow blocked some of Hiccup's view. "You're Hiccup right?" A tall, muscular man asked. He had his hair slicked back and Hiccup noted the curious stare.

"I am......." Hiccup answered a bit hesitant.

The man held a hand out and Hiccup shook it. "I am Throk, leader of the Defenders,"

Hiccup recognized the tribe name, though he had never personally met any of them before. They had been the last delegation to arrive since their tribe had established themselves farthest west.

"You know my people and myself were quite shocked when your invitation came." Throk said and then added, "Even more shocked when we heard about the terraformation process."

"It's been years," Hiccup said "You hadn't heard?"

"News, nowadays, travels slowly." Throk answered. "Not a lot of people venture as far west as we have. It was thanks to you Berkians that we now have clean river water to irrigate the soil."

"Thanks but it's Astrid you should be congratulating." Hiccup told Throk. "We might have all been dead if it wasn't for her."

"Then the rumors are true?" Throk asked in mild curiosity.

"What rumors?" Hiccup had to ask.

"There are two," Thork started "The first one we Defenders heard was that she was a lost relic that was finally awakened and set about returning the planet to its former glory. The other one was that she was a witch that was using her powers to heal the sick and smite any foes she came across."

Hiccup gulped as if thinking what Astrid would do if she ever heard those rumors, particularly the last one. "She's neither a lost relic or a witch," Hiccup corrected. "She's just a very... wonderful, sweet woman that was used by corrupt people."

"I see," Throk nodded. "And The Dragons? How did you conquer them?"

"We didn't......." Hiccup frowned. "They joined us on their own."

"The Dragons are fearsome warriors. Even we who are so far west have heard of their feats." Throk mentioned. "A tribe like that would not just join up and fall under the command of another. There must be a story behind it all,"

"Oh there is, believe me there is," Hiccup stated.

"Well now I want to know too...." A voice interrupted causing Hiccup to jolt up. He turned around to see Dagur behind them with meat skewers in his hands.

"Oh my Thor, why do you keep doing that?" Hiccup asked as he held a hand over his heart.

"Doing what? I was just bringing you guys some meat skewers," Dagur waved the skewers around as if to emphasize the point.

"How long have you been listening in?" Hiccup grumbled while Throk accepted a skewer.

"Pretty much the whole time," Dagur bluntly stated as if sneaking around and listening in on someone's conversation was normal for him. "So are you going to tell us?"

"Tell you what?" Hiccup asked.

"How you got the Dragons to ally with you!" Dagur now shouted as he started to shake Hiccup. "You can't just leave me hanging after saying that there is a spectacular story behind it! Come on Hiccup spill!"

"I think you should stop shaking him first," Throk remarked.

When Hiccup got his bearings again he noticed that Dagur had once again attracted attention, mainly from the other delegations. "You were going to explain why and how the Dragon's joined?" Alvin now asked as he took a swig of his mead.

"It's a doozy of a story alright..." Gobber added drawing more curiosity from the large group.

"Gobber you aren't helping," Hiccup hissed as now almost all eyes were on him. He turned to where Toothless and Astrid sat for support.

"Sorry babe, you're on your own here." Astrid said as she then proceeded to take a bite out of her drumstick.

"Bud come on, help me out here. You were there too." Hiccup pleaded as all eyes were still on him. He didn't do well with people watching him.

"Oh my Thor!" Dagur exclaimed "This mystery is killing me! Do I need to bring out my cute eyes?!"

Hiccup took a step back as Dagur was trying to look cute as he indicated for Hiccup to tell the story. But Dagur looked anything but cute and the rest of the people thought that as well. Heather had to step in and drag her brother away, giving Hiccup some breathing room.

"Okay so everyone wants to know right?" Hiccup asked and he could see many nodding. "Well this story starts about 3 years ago,"

-------Flashback-------

Year: 24XX (2 years after terraformation)

Location: Earth, Berk (Formally Arcadia)

"Hiccup wake up!!!!" Astrid shouted as she pounded on the door to Hiccup's room. "So help me if I have to knock this door down!"

Astrid was still knocking when a groggy Hiccup opened the door. This caused Astrid's fist to make contact with Hiccup's face. "Ack!" Hiccup shouted as he staggered backwards.

"Oh my Thor, I'm so sorry Hiccup!" Astrid said as she rushed forward and grabbed Hiccup's arm before tugging him out of the room.

"Hey Astrid... wait.... What!" Hiccup barely had time to formulate a sentence as he was dragged out of his room, out of the apartment he shared with Fishlegs, and down the hall. Other Berkians wisely chose to get out of their way as Astrid rushed through the halls like a whirlwind while Hiccup looked like a limp noodle.

Hiccup noted that Astrid was bringing him to the elevator that led down to the older area of Arcadia. When they were inside he could finally catch his breath while Astrid pressed the down button. "What's going on?" He asked as he noted Astrid's grim expression.

"Spitelout and Snotlout are in trouble," Astrid explained. "They were clearing out some of the older areas and salvaging stuff that was usable when Snotlout slipped and fell against a console, turning it on."

"Okay......" Hiccup said tentatively.

"They are now locked in and being held hostage," Astrid explained.

"Wait..... How are they being held hostage? Did we get invaded?" Hiccup asked as his eyes widened.

"It's not that simple," Astrid said. "It's the console that's keeping them hostage."

"I am seriously confused here." Hiccup uttered as the elevator arrived and the doors dinged open.

"It's better if I show you," Astrid said as she walked out of the elevator with determination while Hiccup followed closely after her.