Part 10

Chapter 9

The young Lieutenant gulped as an aide led her to Captain Queen's office. Being summoned by another commanding officer so soon after she had landed on her new post was quite unnerving. What was even more unnerving was that she was the only one making any noise in the white hallways of the ship's hull. She couldn't hear other footsteps though she saw people walking past her. They were as silent as the ninjas of old. Even the aide that had approached her had an air of mystery surrounding him.

The click clack of her heels stopped when the aide directed her to a non-descript door. The young woman frowned but entered as the door slid open automatically. The room inside was surprising. The young woman had suspected a modern and sleek looking office that was standard for all personnel. Instead she stepped into a room that looked to have wood paneling and as well as several bookcases filled to the brim. It looked more like something out of a mystery novel. She had read many of those novels that had been scanned into the databases from her tablet. She wondered what actual books would feel like. Paper was something of a myth now and even owning a scrap of it was a symbol of prestige.

"Greetings Lieutenant," A female voice said shocking her out of her musings. Turning sharply she saw the Captain seated on a black leather sofa. "I see you've taken a liking to my simulation."

"Ma'am!" She saluted while standing at attention. Her cheeks burned in embarrassment at being caught unawares.

"At ease soldier," Mala commanded. "I wanted to see your reaction to this," She then gestured before clicking a switch causing the room to change.

"It was a hologram?" She asked before quickly adding the "ma'am" at the end of her question.

"Yes, it's from the study of my ancestors when they were still living on Earth." The Captain explained as she pocketed the device. "I like to test new crewmembers with it."

"Test?" Now the Lieutenant frowned. "I don't understand...."

"What did you first feel when you came into this room?" Mala asked. "I saw on your face was wonder and awe. It tells me a bit more about your character."

"I..... see ma'am." The young woman responded.

"Now my other question. What did you do to get sent here from your previous post Lieutenant Luna Senna?" Mala asked bluntly.

The young officer gulped but decided to tell the truth. She knew of some colleagues who got caught in a lie and it ended badly for them. "I disobeyed a direct order from a superior ma'am."

"Well that tells me little," The blonde Captain raised a brow. "Commander Grimmel is known for getting rid of those he considers nuisances one way or another. No one really says anything against him because of his past achievements. Just be glad he reassigned you and didn't order his followers to throw you out of the airlock."

The young Lieutenant gulped but then asked "His followers ma'am?"

"You must have noticed the officers in black and red uniforms he keeps around." Mala now stated. "They usually have this blank stare on their faces."

"Yes ma'am but what do you mean? They seemed quiet but...." Luna uttered.

"You must either be naive or fresh out of the academy." Was the statement and the Lieutenant blushed. "Let me give you a piece of advice. If one of those guys comes after you, you run. Don't look back, just run." Mala was so resolute in her advice that the young woman gulped.

"Now I do believe we have an Exploration mission to start." The Captain said as she stood up from the sofa. "Follow me to hangerbay D4 Lieutenant. We need to suit up. The rest of the team is already waiting."