Part 16

Chapter 15

The spacefarers were absconded into the depths of New Berk after the whole sheep incident. Stoick had several of his men escort the newcomers to the first level of the facility where they were given several spare rooms that they would need to share since the population of New Berk was expanding and they also had to house the delegates from the other tribes. The rooms were all connected to the common area and that was where Mala's team met up again.

"This is....." Davis mumbled.

"Incredible?" Luna interjected.

"Suspicious," The man corrected. "It's all too suspicious. How could our data have been so wrong?"

"I would think this to be a joyous occasion," Telmia now added her two cents. "Instead of three scientists we have encountered a civilization that against all odds is starting to thrive again. From the data on this facility we might infer that these people are directly responsible for the flora and fauna that is returning to the planet. Them hosting several delegates from other areas also shows that they are open-minded to negotiations and possess some measure of diplomacy."

"Yes but where are the three scientists that were supposed to reside here?" Davis then muttered "When I asked that every one of them clammed up."

"I'm willing to give these people the benefit of the doubt," Mala stated as eyes fell on her. "They've given us that by not shooting us on sight. We might be missing some vital information and if we can come to a mutual agreement it would benefit both sides."

"I couldn't have said it better myself," The sliding doors to the common room opened with a hiss to admit Hiccup, Astrid and the one they seemed to call Toothless. Only Toothless seemed to be armed and took his place by the door right behind Hiccup. Astrid was carrying a tablet and the group just realized that they had been overheard.

"So you heard us," Mendia asked with a frown. "Granted this is a common area so no privacy is expected, I'd still want to know why."

"Wouldn't you have done the same if the tables were turned?" Astrid raised a brow. "We have no idea of your motives and seeing as that little ship of yours was probably just for scouting then there should be an even bigger one up there." Astrid pointed at the ceiling but everyone got the picture. "It's a logical conclusion as the ship we salvaged doesn't seem to be made for long term travel."

Luna was watching the exchange as her Captain now said something. Though she didn't hear it as her eyes were drawn to the black-haired soldier by the door. He seemed very protective of the one they called Hiccup she noted but she could also see him glancing at her at times. This caused the woman to frown. Sure she had landed on him but that wouldn't have been enough to draw so much attention.

".... we come to some agreement?" She managed to catch the tail end of Captain Mala's question as both Hiccup and the blond woman nodded.

"A question for a question," the woman said. "If you appear to be honest and have no ill intentions then you will receive the same clearance as the visiting delegates."

"Are you allowed to make that decision?" Helia now asked with a frown.

"I am," Astrid said but she didn't elaborate on it further.

"As a show of good faith why don't you guys ask the first question." Hiccup suggested as he and Astrid took seats opposite to Captain Mala. Luna could still feel eyes on her but tried to focus on the discussion.

"Our data indicated that there were three scientists originally inhabiting this facility." Mala stated. "What happened to them?"

"Dead," Astrid huffed. "And we are all better for it."