Part 12

Chapter 11

"Well that's reassuring," Luna uttered. "It means we can get help from there."

"I DO NOT THINK SO," Helia answered with a frown as she pulled up a holographic image from her wrist interface. The crew stood up and approached the twins to check the intelligence they had gathered. "THE AREA IS HEAVILY FORTIFIED AND THERE ARE PEOPLE PATROLLING. THIS SITUATION IS MUCH MORE DIFFERENT THAN WE HAD INITIALLY THOUGHT."

"Has Arcadia fallen?" Captain Mala asked with a frown as she looked at the activity the scouts had recorded. "Our intelligence indicated that only three researchers where living there up to the time the terraformation rocket was launched."

"That doesn't matter right now," Davis said as he picked up some of his equipment. "They obviously heard the crash so we are sitting ducks here. It's highly likely that they aren't friendlies."

"Davis don't get all trigger happy. For all we know these people are no threat." Mendia warned. "They've been living on a planet with minimal resources."

"I'll consider anything hostile until proven otherwise," Davis shot back. "You're too soft Mendia."

"Captain," Telmia spoke up. "While it is good to hear that there are so many survivors on the planet I would err on the side of caution as well. I agree with Sergeant Davis's assessment. We should treat this as a hostile situation until we can assess the natives' intentions."

Mala groaned as she had a decision to make. First contact was hard. They couldn't go in guns blazing without assessing the situation and they couldn't appear unarmed in front of the inhabitants even if they were the same race. Either option would put her team at risk. "For now we'll camouflage ourselves and observe the ones that come investigate."

Meanwhile back at Berk the crash had sent the Berkians into a frenzy. Weapons were being distributed and the guards were on high alert.

"Okay who ruined my beauty sleep?" Dagur asked as he came outside and saw the commotion.

"You'll need more than sleep to get any beauty," Camicazi uttered with a roll of her eyes as she too had been woken up. The other delegates were up as well and many were also armed to the teeth now.

"Is it another attack?" Madguts asked as he cocked his shotgun.

"By who? We're all here." Heather muttered as she glared at the somewhat triggerhappy Chief.

"We're forming a search party right now. Some of our guards detected movement in the shrubs nearby." Hiccup approached them.

"Woohoo search party!" Dagur exclaimed.

"Uhm..... actually......" Hiccup mumbled "Maybe you guys should stay here,"

"Aaauuuw but I want to go search!" Dagur whined. "Brother pleaseeeeeeee!" And there were the sad puppy dog eyes. Hiccup took a step back as Dagur kept pleading.

"What are you? Five?" Heather rolled her eyes at her brother's antics. "Let the Berkians do their thing. This is their place and we're just guests."

"But sis!!!!" Dagur uttered. "It's a search party! I haven't been in a search party since we chased the grain thief!"

"Oh my Thor you are incorrigible!" Heather groaned as Camicazi stifled a laugh.

"Hiccup are you coming or what?!" Astrid shouted from atop the ATV. She had an axe strapped to her back and was a bit more excited than she should be. Hiccup supposed it was because there was hardly any action lately and according to Astrid her axe needed a good workout. It was usually Mulch and Bucket who got the brunt of that axe when she was sparring.