Part 15

Chapter 14

After Griselda left, Grimmel sat in his office deep in thought. When he reached for the tea he had made and took a sip he found that it had grown cold. Looking at the clock on his work console he noted that he had been debating his thoughts for nearly three hours. He also noted a communique had come in from the Council. Clicking on it he came face to face with the pre-recorded image of Grand Admiral Excellinor.

"Greetings Commander Grimmel," The message began. "I hope this message finds you well. The contents that will be discussed are for your eyes only and will not be repeated. Protocol 31 will be in effect."

Grimmel nodded even though it was a recording. No one could observe him anyways. Protocol 31 was considered to be used only in the highest classification of documents. It basically meant that the message never happened and that the UTF operating system would be scrubbed completely of any logs containing this message. There was no pause in the message as the Grand Admiral gave her customary congratulations for reaching Terra. When that was over the real information started playing. "The Council has come to an impasse. Our original goal was to deliver Terra to the hands of the Talarians in exchange for the Slipstream technology they currently possess. Your investigation here is critical." The Grand Admiral stated. "If no intelligent lifeforms are found on the planet, as I suspect they won't be, then the Talarians get Terra to rebuild their civilization. If intelligent lifeforms are discovered then humanity will take control of Terra and guide it into the new age. You know which results my faction hopes for Commander Grimmel. See that you do not disappoint me. Humanity must never settle back on Terra for they will become complacent and devoid of ambition to chart the galaxies."

Grimmel knew what was at stake. He had often had this conversation with the Grand Admiral and he agreed with her. Over the centuries since humanity stepped into space on the Genesis ships there had been a sort of desperation. At first there was panic from the populous that had made it into the great vacuum but slowly they acclimated to life in the vast unknown. The humans that went into space had a sort of drive to them that made them strive to be their very best. It was not the will to live but the will to survive. The people had put their lives on the line as to their knowledge they were the last of their kind. Science reached new heights during that age as the people settled into the colony worlds.

Yet there was unease. There were failures to life support systems, crops withered, drought at times had been imminent. There were times where social unrest was at its highest yet the people that took the journey into space banded together to solve their problems. Many colonists dreamed of returning to their homeworld. Centuries passed and the return to Terra slowly faded from people's minds. They had other things to worry about and the planet of their ancestors began to slowly fade into myth. This had been the strength of their forefathers. The strength they had cultivated.

But like all governing bodies, there was a difference of opinion. Within the colony worlds there existed two factions. One faction yearned to go back to their home planet and rewrite the wrongs they had visited upon it in history. This faction believed that there must have been survivors that had had enough resources to survive and possibly thrive. That they were intelligent and hopeful of change. The other faction also believed that there were survivors but that these 'natives' had devolved into savage creatures that only went with the creed of 'survival of the fittest' and practiced barbaric rituals. It was the most prevalent hypothesis among the masses of the colonies. The natives of Terra were no longer considered sentient and part of the human race. This faction also believed that returning to settle on their home planet would make humanity weak and thus unable for future generations to bear the harshness of space exploration.

Grimmel was about to initiate the erasure protocol when he noted that there was a postscript added to the message. He clicked on it and watched the Grand Admiral appear again. "There has been a recent shift in ideology within the colonies that cannot be tolerated." The Grand Admiral expressed with a grimace. "The other faction seems to be gaining in popularity as the expedition to Terra had been made public. I will not stress this more. We need to show these heathens the folly of their ways. Prove to all that we must rid ourselves of the chains of Terra. I have managed to keep the other faction at bay for now by discreetly transferring the granddaughter of the faction's leader to your ship. Grand Admiral Senna will not make a move against us as long as his granddaughter remains safe." Grimmel gulped as he realized that he should have recognized that last name. "Commander, you have my full trust. I expect you to prioritize the safety of Lieutenant Senna. While she is our secret hostage she is also our opportunity. If you can convert her to our faction then hefty rewards await you upon your journey home."