Part 6

Chapter 5

"SOMEONE GET US OUT OF HERE!" Hiccup heard the shouts along with the frantic banging. When Astrid turned the corner Hiccup saw a small group of people crowded around a bulkhead door. The banging was getting louder and Hiccup recognized Snotlout's voice screaming from the other side.

The Berkians parted when Astrid returned "Snotlout? Spitelout? I'm back with Hiccup," Astrid explained. Hiccup couldn't see what was going on on the other side of the door but Snotlout shouted "WELL THAT'S FINE AND DANDY BUT GET US OUT OF HERE. THIS THING IS GIVING ME THE CREEPS!"

"Just what happened? Can't we just cut through the bulkhead with one of the plasma torches we found?" Hiccup asked as he looked confused.

"We can't," Astrid said. "The console Snotlout activated is communicating through a binary system. It basically is threatening us as it seems to have gotten control of the secondary suppression system."

"What secondary suppression system?" Hiccup asked with a frown since he only knew of the sleeping gas.

"The older part of Arcadia isn't equipped with sleeping gas but poison gas instead." Astrid explained. "If anyone of us tampers with the door then the gas will be released onto Snotlout and Spitelout."

"The hell?!" Hiccup exclaimed. "What does that computer want? To go this far there have to be demands, right?!"

"It asked for a vessel," Astrid explained before adding "and it was less than amused when Snotlout offered it a water canteen."

"How was I supposed to know that wasn't what it was looking for?!" Snotlout's shout came from the other side of the door followed by more banging.

"Uhm..... lass......" Gobber spoke up. "Don't you think they might mean a body?"

Astrid pursed her lips before nodding in agreement with Gobber. Meanwhile, Hiccup was still processing everything when something clicked. "This thing is sentient? Another A.I.?"

"I don't know but I think so. It asked to meet you specifically," Astrid was frowning harder and Hiccup could agree with her. This whole situation was weird. Far weirder than the very detailed romance stories Mildew spewed when he was drunk as hell. That thought caused Hiccup's mind to cringe though he didn't show it physically. The weirder part was that this 'thing' asked for him by name.

"Astrid....."

"Hiccup, no! Don't you even dare suggest it!" Astrid growled.

"What were you thinking I was suggesting?" Hiccup frowned.

"The console is obviously not this thing's main hub. You want to arrange a meeting." Astrid had her hands on her hips. "I won't allow it! The last time you did something stupidly crazy you got shot in the leg!"

"We ended up saving the planet!" Hiccup argued.

"You. Got. Shot. In. The. Leg!" Astrid now punctuated. "We don't know what this thing is capable of and you aren't going anywhere without backup!"

"Alright alright!" Hiccup took a step back and held his hands out defensively. When Astrid made up her mind like this there was usually no changing it. Those that tried ended up visiting Mrs. Larson for medical attention.

"Guyyyyyyyys!" Snotlout exclaimed. "The console is doing something!"

"Doing what?" Hiccup asked with a frown.

"I don't know? Just 0's and 1's are flashing over the screen........ Dad wait... don't touch that!" Was heard and it was followed by a groan.