Chapter 3

*Knock Knock Knock*

"I'll answer it." Phoenix walked to the front door.

"Who are you? Where is Clara?" I heard her voice and got up from the couch.

"Lyric." I called to her and watched her push passed Phoenix. Running to me, she grabbed me and hugged me tight.

"I'm so glad you're okay." She pulled back. "That no good piece of shit. What happened?"

"First, Lyric this is Phoenix. Phoenix this is my best friend Lyric."

"Nice to meet you." He held out his hand and she shook it.

"Thank you for taking care of her." Phoenix nodded the she turned back to me. "Now tell me what happened."

"He came home drunk and we got to arguing. I told him I wasn't happy anymore. When I said I was done, he screamed 'You're not leaving me' and attacked me." I watched her face redden with anger.

"I'm gonna kill him." She gritted through her teeth.

"Don't joke like that."

"Who said it was a joke? He knows better than to put his hands on a woman! You need to have him locked up Clara." She shouted.

"So he can be even more angry when he gets out? No." That would only anger him more and give him reason to come after me.

"Who said anything about him getting out. He'll rot in there." She put her hand on my shoulder.

"He'll do three years tops for domestic violence." Phoenix added. Lyric's head snapped in his direction.

"Who are you again?" Her tone was more than sarcastic.

"Don't be rude. He's the one who got me out of that situation. He even offered me a place to stay." I countered.

"And you know him like that? I know everyone you know Clara. I would've remembered someone like him." She glared at him.

"Can you come back to the realm of being my best friend and not my mother?" She rolled her eyes.

"I love and I just want you to be safe." She hugged me again.

"I love you too and I am safe, I promise." I said as she eyed him up and down. When you've known someone as long as I've known Lyric, you pick up on the little things. Like when she's jealous, she sucks on her top lip making her bottom lip protrude out more. She says its a nervous habit but subliminally she's pouting like a five year old being told to go to bed early.

"What do you do for a living Phoenix?" Lyric folded her arms.

"I'm a massage therapist." He answered. Well he is very good with his hands. Oh my god, get a hold of yourself. Your best friend is standing right next to you.

"You live here? On massage therapy money?" She gave him her I-don't-believe-you face.

"I am very good at what I do." He smiled. Lyric turns to me.

"Is he why you don't love Tobias anymore?"

"I stopped loving Tobias long before I met Phoenix." A long long time ago.

"So are you two like a thing now?" Her sarcasm is starting to get on my nerves.

"She's my sub. Aren't you Clara?" He asked staring at me with those steely grey eyes.

"Yes Sir." I bite my lip.

"Good girl." He smirked. There was an awkward moment of silence as Lyric stood in shock.