Chapter 5

*Clara's House*

I lift the welcome mat and grab the spare key. I walk in and the place looks trashed, as if we had been robbed. I pick up my mother's photo from the floor. The frame and glass were broken. What in the world happened here?

"I didn't think you would come home." Tobias's voice startles me. Turning around, I see him standing in the hallway. He looks awful, like he hasn't been sleeping. His hair is a mess and his clothes are disheveled.

"I'm not staying, just picking up a few things." I hate being this cold to him but he attacked me. I can't stay with him after that. As I try to walk past him, he grabs my arm.

"Please baby, can we talk?" He pleads.

"We did enough talking, remember? When you smashed my head into that very mirror behind you." He looked over his shoulder and dropped his head.

"I'm sorry. I was angry, hurt and very drunk. It won't happen again, I promise." I'm sure he really believes that, but I know him too well. This may be the first time he's actually laid hands on me but it's not the first time he's gotten drunk and attempted to cause he was angry.

"I know it won't, because I won't be here." He lets me go and balls his fist. I felt like running but I stood my ground.

"Where are you staying?" He glared at me.

"That is no longer your business. I found a place to stay and that's all you need to know." He took a step towards me and I panicked. I grabbed to closest large piece of glass and held it tightly in my hands. "Tobias, don't." I warned him.

"You gonna hurt me Clara?" He retracts his step and looks at me in shock.

"I don't want to, but I will if you go crazy again."

"I'm sorry I hurt you. I was just scared of losing you and...." I interupted him.

"Lost." I corrected.

"What?"

"You aren't losing me Tobias, you already lost me the moment you attacked me." I could feel the tears forming but I pushed them back.

"You still love me, I know you do." I can't deny that. He was my first everything. It's nearly impossible to forget your first love, but if he really loved me at all, he would've never hurt me.

"I do still love you. I guess in a way I will never stop loving you completely, but I can't be with you anymore. Not after what you did." I throw the glass shard down and head to our bedroom with Tobias not far behind me.

"Please stay Clara. We've been together for ten years. That's too long not to work things out." He begged.

"And in all those ten years, not once did I ever think you would put your hands on me like you did. Not even in our worst arguments." I grab my empty bags and begin filling them with clothes and essentials. I don't even bother folding the clothes. I pile them high, stuff them down and zip the bag closed. Once full, I tug them off the bed and sigh. "How am I supposed to forgive you? Am I supposed to act as though it never happened?" He doesn't answer. "I can't do that. I can't stay here, where everytime I walk down that hallway, the memory of you slamming my head into the walls and mirror will haunt me. I won't live like that." I put my bags on my shoulders and walk out. Tobias grabs my arms and pulls me back towards him, kissing me hard. This is the most passion he's shown me in years. Almost like the first time we kissed. Raw, hungry and this time, full of regret.... but he can't kiss away his actions. I put my hands on his chest and push him away. "Please don't make this harder than it already is." The tears keep building. I feel like my head might explode. This is not the way I thought we would end. My chest felt tight. I swallowed the lump in my throat and looked him in the eyes. "Goodbye Tobias." I get myself free and leave before he has the chance to speak. I quickly get into the car and the tears pour out like a dam breaking free. Even after what he did, it's hard to say goodbye to him.

*Tap Tap Tap*

I look up and see him staring through the window with a determined look on his face.

"I won't give up on us. I will make things right, and I will get you back." Before another wave of tears could unleash their fury, I peel out of the driveway and watch as his figure gets further and further away until fully disappearing. I look at the clock, keeping an eye on the time. 1:03 pm. I still have some time. I need to see my best friend.

*Lyric's Apartment*

Pulling up to her apartment, I take out my phone and call her.

(Lyric is talking in Italics)

"Clara? Are you okay? What's wrong?"

"I'm outside. Can you come out?" I sniffled and wipe my tear stained cheeks.

"On my way!" She hung up. When I see her door open I get out of the car. I try to hold myself together but the moment she hugs me I break down again. "Oh honey, I knew staying at his place was a bad idea." She rubs my back.

"Im not crying because of Phoenix. I'm crying because I ran into Tobias at home." She pulled away and looked furious.

"Are you insane!? Why did you go there alone!?" She yelled.

"I went to get some clothes and stuff while Phoenix is at work. I was hoping Tobias would be at work as well. When I got there, the place was trashed and he was standing in the hallway. He said he was sorry and that he would never hurt me again. He practically pleaded with me to stay with him, but how? How can I just forget what he did Lyric? How can I stay there and have the reminder hit me in the face everytime I walk down the hallway." I sobbed.

"Please tell me you didn't fall for that shit." She rolled her eyes.

"Of course not but that doesn't make it hurt any less." She grabbed me and hugged me again. We stayed like that for a few minutes before she pulled away.

"Come inside. We can watch Golden Girls and eat ice cream until we're fat and happy." She smiled. "I'll even tell Johnny to leave for a few days so it's just us girls."

"Can I take a rain check?"

"What? Why?" She pouted.

"I need to be back before Phoenix gets home from work." She rolled her eyes again.

"Is this getting serious between you two?"

"Not right now. Maybe. I don't know. I don't want to think about that right now." She nodded.

"Okay well call me if you need me. You know I'll be there in a heartbeat." She smiled and hugged me.

"Thank you."

"I love you girl, you're my best friend. You don't have to thank me." She shook her head.

"I love you too." I smiled back and got in the car, on the way back to Phoenix's place.