•25•

*arias pov*
"Hey.." Tom says as he sits next to me on my bed.
We sit silently for a moment before he speaks again.
"I know you wish I hadn't of brought you into all of this.. but if I hadn't you'd be in a much worse place." He states.
"I know.." I say. "It's just so much"
"It was probably scary seeing Haz like that" he says and I nod.
"You know.. he's never like that. He never just joins in. He was so angry at that guy for putting his hands on you, we both were. It's hard to keep yourself from protecting the ones you love.. He's not normally like that." Tom explains.
"But He was. This is what you guys do.. and I don't know if I can handle being a part of it" I say.
"Alright I think I need to tell you something" he sighs.
"What?..." I ask.
"Don't freak out but... Charlotte Keenan is not your mom..my mom is your mom. We're full siblings" he says.
And as if the craziness couldn't get worse, boom. It does.
Why is this my life. Why are all these insane things happening to me. It's like my life is a reality show, everything just keeps getting crazier and more secrets keep spilling out.
I sit there, taking deep breaths as I try to absorb the information.
"So I was adopted?" I ask.
"In a way" he nods.
"Wow" I laugh. "So not only was I unwanted by everyone in my life but I was also unwanted by my own parents.. Cool"
"That's not what happened Ari-"
"I need air" I say, getting up.
"You can't go out there alone" he says.
"Too bad cause I am" I say.
He follows me down the hall.
"Ari come on" he groans. "Ezra will you go with her please?"
"Ezra is not going with me" I say.
"You are going with her and that's an order" Tom says sternly and I roll my eyes.
"Finally deciding to act like my big bro?" I say sarcastically, walking out the door. Ezra following behind.
"Are you oka-" he starts.
"We're not talking" I say. Ignoring his presence.
Finally. One person finally realizes they can't talk me out of what I'm feeling. They can't manipulate me into thinking that everything is okay. He walks behind me in silence. And I've never been more grateful for anything right now.
And as if I finally had time to process, I feel my brain going haywire.
This lady may be my biological mother, but she didn't raise me, she didn't take care of me, she's not my mother.
I find a stump and sit down on it. Letting the cool autumn air hot my face. I feel the tears well in my eyes and I squeeze them shut, trying to keep myself from crying.
"I lost my mom too.." Ezra finally speaks up, sitting down next to me.
"She was uh, she was stabbed by my dad.. he was drunk. My mom tried calling me a while before it happened but I was too damn busy reading files... next I knew I got a call from the police" he explains. "It's not easy, loosing a parent."
"Does it ever get easier?" I ask.
"The pain never goes away.. you just learn to live with it" he says.
I nod, taking in his words.
"So maybe this should be a sign" he says.
"A sign of what?" I ask.
"Family can leave this earth way too quickly.. don't waste your time being mad at them" he says.
He's right. I could sit here and be mad that I was given away, that my brother knew this whole time and didn't tell me. Or I can choose to move on, forgive, and start to let new people in. All I've ever wanted was a family.. this could be it.
"You're right" I nod.
"I normally am" he teases and I smile.
"Let's go back" I say.
___
I knock on the Toms office door, opening it.
"You're back" Tom says, standing up as I shut the door behind me.
I simply walk over to him and hug him, tightly.
"Thank you for protecting me" I say and I feel him relax.
"I don't want you to be scared of me Aria" he says. "All of this was to keep you safe"
"I see that now. Thanks to a friend" I smile, mentally thanking Ezra.
"I do think though.. you need to go see Haz. He's been freaking out thinking you will never want to see him again" he says.
"Alright" I nod.
I walk around the house, completely unable to find him.
"Hey Lou" I say, catching up with her in the hallway. "Seen haz around?"
"I think he went out back" she says.
"Thank you"
"Aria.. he really cares about you." She says.
I smile in response, walking out to the back yard.
As I walk through the large doorway, I see Haz sitting on a bench, head in hands.
I make my way over to him, sitting down beside him.
"Hey" I say quietly.
"Hey" he says, almost surprised to see me.
"Haz I don't want to loose you. I know you're just trying to protect me. And everyone else you love." I say and he gives me a small smile.
"I don't want to loose you either" he says.
"Remember when we were at the mall, and you said we had a thing, a special thing?" I ask, remembering the funny conversation.
"Yeah" he laughs a bit.
"I don't want our thing to end." I say.
"Me either."

*three weeks later*
The doorbell rings and I run upstairs to answer it.
"Petra!" I smile as I open the door.
"I brought wine" She smiles, handing it to me and coming inside.
"Come on everyone's in the dinning room" I say.
We walk downstairs and into the slightly crowded room. Taking in the smell of turkey and mashed potatoes. It's the evening before thanksgiving and I convinced Tom to throw a Friendsgiving.
"I can't believe you convinced me to do this" Tom shakes his head at me.
"Look at that" I say, quickly realizing Petra wasn't at my side anymore, but across the room talking to Ezra.
"You think he likes her?" Tom asks.
"They definitely have a thing" I laugh.
Seeing everyone with smiles on their faces made me happy. I truly am at home.
"Hope you guys didn't start without me" Haz says as he walks in the room.
"Of course not" I smile, kissing him. "But seriously where did you go?"
"You'll see any minuet" he says.
Soon, I hear barking and see two dogs run in.
"Tessa!" Tom says excitedly, petting the dog.
"And Monty!" Haz smiles as the other dog runs up to him.
"Oh look at these cuties!" I smile, leaning down to pet both of them.
____
"This is weird" Ezra says.
"Too bad, you have to do it, it can be anything!" I say.
"Alright ummm, I'm thankful for these mashed potatoes, and my new gun" he says.
"Very good, Petra?" I say.
"I'm thankful for my new friends" she says and I smile.
"Okay I guess it's my turn" Tom says. "I guess I'm thankful to have a bond with my new sister"
"Well if we're getting sappy, I'm thankful for my family" Jacob says. "Which is you guys if I didn't make that clear"
"Well now you guys are making me feel bad for not being sappy!" Ezra laughs.
"My turn! I'm thankful for my best friend having a hot sister" Haz says and I laugh. Tom didn't find it too amusing though.
"You're turn Ari, what are you thankful for?" Haz says.
"I'm thankful that I have gained a new family, a new home, and a new life. You all mean so much to me. I love you all"
And I meant it. For the first time since I was 17, I truly feel content. I truly love where my life is.