Prologue

"Katia come hang with us, you'll love it here!" I hear some guy ask her and mentally groan to myself.

This is the fourth guy Katia's hung out with this month.

I shouldn't be jealous, I lost my chance last summer. She isn't going to give me another chance to prove myself to her. She's got too many options for that.

So far Katia's been exceling in different classes, I have just been lucky enough to witness all that.

This summer all I've seen was her funny and artistic side. I didn't know she was really smart. I mean, I have my fair share of high grades but she was slightly higher than me all the time.

It was always, "Katia, congratulations on the highest score. Oz, you were so close!" The teacher would always say.

Kind of felt like she was taking a hit to my relationship, like she knew how close I was to actually having a decent relationship for a long time.

Not so close now I guess.

"Oh, Oz. Hi." I hear her say as I realize I'm in her way.

Fuck, did I really need to talk to her now? I was trying to move on.

Emphasis on the trying.

She was making this so damn hard to do.

Well it's your fault for breaking up with her.

"Hi." I briefly say and instantly turn the other way, walking into the classroom while she walks out.

I was never going to touch her again was I?

"You talking to Oz? Why though?" I overhear Abe ask Katia and she sighs, not bothering to answer him.

What the actual heck? What did Abe mean by that? I was a fun person to have a conversation with!

Well not really all I really talked about was my school and guitar sometimes but that's that.

"Why not? Oz is my friend. I know him from Church." Katia says and I hear Abe let out a laugh.

I inwardly smile to myself. My girl is actually defending me. Well not actually defending me, Abe technically didn't insult me.

Abe scoffs and sighs.

"Exactly, you know him from church. What is he? Is he an altar boy or something? Those boys that wear dresses like that?" He asks and I roll my eyes.

Was that all he cared about? That I'd wear a dress if I were an altar boy?

Then I shouldn't tell him about the time I made a fool of myself infront of the whole church because of a certain distraction.

"Quit it, Abe. Let's just go." Katia says and they walk away.

Why the heck was she hanging out with dudes like him? It's been a year since that summer together and to be honest my summer wasn't as memorable as when I spent it with Katia.

We wouldn't even hang out anymore. She wouldn't visit me, I wouldn't teach her guitar anymore.

It was as if the whole thing was a dream, as if she was just a dream.

Maybe she was. I'd like to think it never happened. It would help me a whole lot if it were.

"Oz?" I suddenly hear and see Katia looking down at me from where I was sitting.

She's making this really hard for me.

I raise a brow at her and she sighs.

"Yeah?" I ask and she frowns.

"You aren't lame for serving at church. Abe was wrong about that. I know you overheard us. I just needed to know you were all right." She says and I sigh, smiling up at her.

"I didn't hear a thing. In fact I'm only hearing about this now. That really offends me Katia, ouch." I tell her and she giggles.

Ahh that giggle. Now it was much much harder for me to move on. It just brings me to my past.

"Oh really? Well you were kind of flat last sunday. You need to fix that." She says and I roll my eyes at her.

Ahhh, that's the playful Katia I know.

"Really? I thought I sounded perfect, Kitty." I tell her and my eyes go wide as I realize the words that have gotten out of my mouth.

Kitty.

"You use that nickname as if we were a couple. We aren't."

"...Kat. Katia, sorry. I didn't mean it." I tell her and she sighs, nodding.

"It's fine."She says, walking away and I sigh, mentally facepalming myself.

Stupid!

I watch as she turns back to me, smiling.

"....church singer." She says and I smile at her, missing the nickname she gave me before.

I know I'm teased for being this kind, innocent church boy (my classmates words not mine, I'm far from that) who's probably a crazy worshipper, but I never felt ashamed about it.

Not when she makes me proud to be one.