6

After 3 days and 3 nights of travelling, they finally made it to the selection mountain.

They lived off the food that they found while traversing the mountain range, like flowers, certain edible berries and plants, fish, and some hunt, which was mainly birds and rabbits, as they couldn't bring themselves to kill a boar to eat.

Their strong sense of touch allowed them to tell which plants were poisonous or not, and sense the animal's movement or rabbit hole locations.

Poisonous plants were prickly and had an uncomfortable touch, while edible ones were softer and more pleasant to feel.

Rabbit holes were goldmines; they would block all the other holes, and only keep one open as they camped around that, so the moment a rabbit came out they would trap and kill it.

They drank water from the stream, and for dinner on the second night they ate fish Inosuke grabbed out of the water with sheer strength, reaction speed and agility.

It was amazing, watching him scoop them up like that, similar to a grizzly catching salmon.

"Hey, I never thought travelling away from that mountain would be so fun!" Inoka said happily.

"Same! It's strange seeing new trees I haven't seen before, and there are less boars around this area. I kind of miss those boars..." Inosuke said sadly.

Inoka was a bit saddened too.

Those boars were their second family; after being taken away far too early from their first, this boar mom treated them like her own children; feeding them, hydrating them, and caring for them.

Inoka shook her head.

"It's time to stop thinking about these sad thoughts. Let's focus on how we're going to beat everyone there at the exam!" Inoka exclaimed with a smirk on her face.

"Yeah! They can't beat us!" Inosuke yelled.

Inoka's pep talk had worked, and they were cheerful as they slept on their makeshift beds in their temporary shelter.

The next day, they arrived at the mountain were the examinations were located.

"Hey , why are there wisteria flowers here? They never bloom on our mountain during this season..." Inoka mumbled to Inosuke.

"I don't know, maybe the mountain's special?" Inosuke replied, equally confused.

There were two people greeting them; one a girl with white hair and a boy? with black hair.

They reminded Inoka on her and Inosuke; both were pretty, but one was a trap. However, in her eyes, Inosuke didn't look that much like a boy; in fact, she thought all boys their age looked like him until she saw everyone else.

When the other examinees saw them, they sweatdropped.

These people already had Nichirin swords; why were they here? And what were they wearing?

They both had boar heads on, and extremely fit bodies; the boy wore a loin cloth only, and the girl had practically only underwear on made of fur and leaves. It was quite a spectacle; the others were wearing modest kimonos, compared to their revealing outfits.

They seemed like they had no connection to society whatsoever.

However, the girl had a royal blue scarf on, which was well made and contrasting to her brown and green clothing.

There appeared to be names stitched on the loincloth and scarf.

She whispered "Hey , should we ask them what our names are?"

He whispered back "Yeah, I think we should."

They walked up to a poor examinee, who was frightened by their appearance.

Inosuke's gruff voice growled "Hey, can you read-" before he was cut off by another voice; Inoka's.

"Of course this guy can read." She said rolling her eyes, not that the examinee could see; Inosuke could feel her disappointed gaze on him.

The examinee thought 'Are they dating? No wonder they look the same..."

Inosuke said "I-I knew that..."

"Totally."

Inosuke then cut back. "Hey, read this for us or I'll fight you."

The poor examinee stuttered "Y-your's says 'Hashibira Inosuke', and the g-girl's is 'Shiratori Inoka'. You guys make a c-cute couple, by the way." He added that last part so Inosuke won't fight him, thinking they were a couple by their matching masks.

The examinee was jealous that the weird boar guy had dragged another girl to be a boar with him, and even date him. What a strange duo.

"Whats a couple?" Inosuke whispered to Inoka.

"I don't know - wait, should I call you Inosuke now?"

"Sure! Inosuke sounds like a cool name."

"Okay then, Inosuke."

'No formalities and first name basis, they are 100% dating.' The examinee thought.

All of a sudden, the two doll-like figures spoke.

"Thank you for gathering tonight for the Final Selection." The black haired one said. "Mount Fujikasane holds demons that demon-slayer swordsmen have taken alive and trapped here."

"Demons hate wisteria flowers, which bloom here even out of season." The white haired one spoke. "They cover the mountain from it's foot to halfway up the slope."

"However, from that point on, the wisteria does not bloom, so the demons roam free. You must survive there for seven days. If you do, then you will have passed Final Selection. Now go." They said in unison.

And the selection begins.

(If there are any mistakes or you have any suggestions for the plot, please message me or comment :) also, please vote~ it means the world to me, and it also lets me see if you guys are enjoying the story or not~ thank you 🐗)