7

"Hey hey hey! What do you think you're doing, trying to take those juicy humans from me? First come, first serve!" A female demoness with black, waist-length hair said.

Night had come, and these were the first demons Inoka and Inosuke had encountered.

"Who said so? This is my territory! After I got placed here by that stupid scarface Wind Pillar, this mountain has been teeming with extras that I don't like! Not to mention, this is the first time I've seen food here ever since I came!" A male demon with spiky, blue hair argued.

'He knows the Wind Pillar?' Inoka thought.

"FIGHT ME!" Inosuke cheered. "Y'ALL ARE WEAKLINGS IF YOU THINK YOU CAN DEFEAT I, THE GREAT HASHIBIRA INOSUKE! PIG ASSAULT!"

Inosuke charged at the demons with his blade.

He took the male one with spiky, blue hair, while I took the female with black, waist-length hair.

However, just as I was about to slice her neck, I froze.

'G-golden eyes?'

She seemed to recognize me as well.

Tears started to pool up in the demoness's eyes.

"Wait- aren't you a demon? Why aren't you biting me or something-" Inoka started until the demoness charged at her, full force.

Inoka braced herself with her sword in front of her for the impact, but it never came.

She stopped right before Inoka's sword, and lifted one hand near her face.

Inoka flinched.

Suddenly, she felt a warm hand graze her boar mask.

The warmth of the mother she never had.

Her touch was gentle, and kind; opposite of a demon's reputed behavior.

She was the one who placed her in that basket, all those years ago.

Inoka's boar mask dropped off.

'How did she recognize me through the boar mask?' Inoka thought.

Tears started to pool up in her shimmering green eyes.

Just as Inoka reached up her hand, Inosuke charged at the demon and almost sliced her head off, except the demon jumped away.

"I-Inoka! Why are you crying?!" Inosuke looked at Inoka with a confused expression.

Inwardly, he was panicking.

'What do I do, what do I do, oh my god' Inosuke mentally screamed.

"You! You did this, didn't you?" Inosuke glared at the demoness, flames flickering in his emerald eyes.

"It wasn't her-" Inoka started but Inosuke didn't let her continue.

"How dare someone touch the second best pig after me and make her cry!" Inosuke exclaimed and yelled "Eighth fang: Pig assault!"

Before he could strike, however, the demoness, without a word, slithered off into the darkness of the forest.

Having dealt with the spiky blue haired demon already, who was fading into dust in the back, wondering how that boar's swords managed to disintegrate him, Inosuke's first priority was Inoka.

"Hey! S-stop crying, you idiot!" Inosuke said, pretending to be tough but in actuality, he didn't know what to do.

Inoka had teardrops in the corners of her eyes, both from happiness and sadness of probably never being able to see that demoness again.

Inoka was strong all these years, and Inosuke had never seen her shed a tear. This disturbed him quite a bit, and his thoughts - did he even have thoughts? - were a mess right now.

She was always smiling, so cheerful and happy beside him, yet now she was shedding tears like a waterfall, her eyes reddening and puffing up. It was a bit bothering that she wasn't smiling and it started to get on his nerves.

"Why aren't you smiling, you idiot! It's so annoying!" Inosuke tried to cheer her up.

After being almost completely cut off from society besides the young man and the late kind grandpa, these two didn't know what was polite and what wasn't.

That, in Inosuke language, was astoundingly kind.

"I-I'm okay. I'm just feeling a bit emotional." Inoka muttered.

"If that's so, then let's go hunt more demons and become stronger!" Inosuke grinned with that weird cheshire smile of his, relieved under that boar mask that she wasn't hurt.

Of course, he'd never let her know that; he had to be strong to protect her, even though she might not need his help.

All those years of training and him teaching Inoka his flexibility had payed off, and she was almost as powerful as him.

Almost.

"Yeah! Let's go!" Inoka said, a bit more cheerful than before, still with puffy eyes, but now with a happy smile on her face.

Inosuke's face flushed under his mask, and little white poofy balls started floating around him, his ears a little red.

They set off, still 6 more days ahead of them, in the mountain of demons.

(If there are any mistakes or you have any suggestions for the plot, please message me or comment :) also, please vote~ it means the world to me, and it also lets me see if you guys are enjoying the story or not~ thank you 🐗)