7) Not just a dream

Friday, August 8th

A D D I E

Zac and I sat on the back deck where we had brunch last weekend. Instead of using the table, we were settled in the two single outdoor armchairs that were part of a lounge suite. It was woven wicker, black with charcoal colored cushions. The sun was beginning to set, and he'd just sat down after offering me a second beer. The stuff was gross, so I'd declined and stuck to just the one. But he surprised me when he sat down and slid a tall glass of wine across the glass coffee tabletop.

"It's meant to be nice," he shrugged, leaning back. "I don't drink the stuff. You don't have to either. Just thought it'd be rude to come back with a beer for me and nothing for you."

"I wouldn't have been offended," I said but gripped the stem of the glass and lifted it. Zac watched me inhale the aroma of the sparkling white.

"You know a lot about wine?"

"Nothing," I confessed with a small laugh and sipped it, smacking my lips afterward. "It's nice though. Thanks."

He gave one nod, smiling as he lifted his bottle. "Not a problem."

I settled into the chair and watched the cloudless horizon. The sun was setting on the other side of the house, but the sky was illuminated with soft orange and purple. The tree leaves rustled around us and there were two black border collies snoozing in their kennels.

Farm dogs I would have thought except that there were no sheep and I didn't think horses needed to be rounded up. Perhaps they were just good old-fashioned furry companions. Before I could ask, we heard the soft sound of approaching footsteps and when I peered at the French doors, an older man appeared in a robe and slippers.

"Zac," he grinned, it was full and deepened the lines in his aged face. "And who's this?"

"This is Addie," Zac introduced me and sat up a little straighter. His thin white shirt stretched tight across his broad chest. "She was here last weekend—"

"Oh, Raine's friend," he interrupted Zac and sat down on the edge of the coffee table. "I'm Keith. Yeah, apologies for not being able to attend brunch. I wasn't feeling right. I hope the kids here were good company."

I could feel Zac watching me, perhaps waiting for me to tell this kind old man that he was a bit of a dick. Instead I smiled. "It was a great morning. I met Noah and then this afternoon, I met Lavender."

"She got out again," Zac said, resting his beer on top of his knee. "Found her down on the river trail with Addie here. I think she sprung the little foal to be honest."

"Is that right," Keith stared at me with playful suspicion. "That reminds me of this ol' mare we had when I was a teenager. She'd get out all the damn time, quite a jumper she was. So anyway, we were heading off down the river for a swim one afternoon, the fellas and I, and we thought we better do our extra best to keep her in while we were gone."

Zac wore a subtle hint of amusement in his grin. He winked and made a dramatic show of settling into his seat and stretching his legs out in front of him, as if to tell me that these stories weren't the short and sweet sort.

Even though it did go on for quite some time, it was entertaining. Keith had such an animated way of telling a story. His voice was old and hoarse but strong and captivating. It was impossible not to hang onto every word with anticipation.

"So then we find the mare down at the swimming hole we'd been at earlier that morning and there she is, in the water having the time of her life, meanwhile we spent the whole darn day searching high and low for her after we'd been told she was missing. Rascal she was."