25) some words hurt

Monday, 4th September.

Z A C

Dawn was breaking on the horizon. Blue hues collided with the dark smear above us and the sound of the world waking up was the sound track to a fresh start in the form of a morning sunrise.

There would be no rain today but the rain we'd had yesterday was needed. Our tank was full. The grass moist for the horses. The fence smelled like damp wood and beads of moisture hung from the shed awning, soon to be dried under the sun. I loved it when it rained and I loved it the morning after even more. The entire earth was rejuvenated, revitalized.

Addie was late this morning. Her door was closed when I went past her bedroom and I'd almost finished feeding the horses without her. Most mornings, she was out long before I was. I didn't hold it against her, no doubt she was emotionally drained after the mess that was made yesterday. There was no harm in her spending the morning in bed if that was what she needed.

Cain Sutton, the seventeen year old who assisted his folks with the horse training was down at the ring, unloading the shed full of saddles and surcingles and other bits and pieces. He was a gangly kid, arms too long, blonde hair that looked darker because it was full of oil and little round eyes that made him look like a sinister villain in a kids cartoon. As harsh as it was, he was uncomfortable to look at. He always looked like he was plotting to shank someone with a pool cue.

"Good morning, Zac," he stood up straight and waved. I gave him a nod. "Where's miss Addie this morning?"

His mild obsession with Addie was not doing him any favors. "In bed."

He carried on shifting equipment around while I opened the gate for Lavender. She was on a rope, itching to go for a gallop. I could feel her pull but she was behaving herself a whole lot more these days,

"Is miss Addie your girlfriend, Zac?"

My face was hidden behind the horse so I didn't concern myself when I rolled my eyes. "Not a girlfriend sort of girl, Cain."

The answer surprised me, even though it had come from my own tongue. It occurred to me that it sort of fit her. She didn't seem like the sort of girl that would need a label, or a declaration or a claim. You'd just love her and she'd love you back. A free spirit that wouldn't hesitate to commit to the place that made her feel most alive.

However, that wasn't how Cain interpreted my answer. "Nice," his tone was suggestive, brows wagging. "Get the lovin' without the fussin'."

"Come again?"

"Oh I just mean, I would give anything to bone a babe like that. And bonus, no tie downs. Must be nice. Is it good? Is she- is she good?"

"Shit kid," I spat with disgust. "Don't ever talk to me like that again. Especially not about her. In fact, don't talk about women like that in general," I walked out of the ring, muttering, shocked and concerned. I don't know if he was just a perv, or if he thought I'd bro down with him if he started degrading the woman that I was falling in love with. "Fuck me. What the hell?"

I passed Hallie on the way back to the stables. "Cain needs a lesson on chivalry, asap."

She stopped and I could feel her staring after me as I kept going. "What?"

"He's disturbed!"

"Zac!"

The sun was out now, Addie was coming down the hill toward me as I closed the paddock gate. My chest expanded because I saw the drawing in her hand and I couldn't wait to tell her that I had a good feeling about the situation with Milo. But when she got closer, her expression wasn't as jovial as I had been expecting.