20) cards on the table

Friday. 1st September.

A D D I E

There was an enormous superstore in town that had a range of random shit. Kitchen supplies. Food. Towels. Beach gear. Fix it solutions. Light bulbs. House decor. It was one of those stores that had almost everything under one roof.

And it was all discounted and super affordable. I wandered down the stationary aisle with a basket. Slow and careful to scan over each item so that I didn't miss something.

It wasn't just stationary though. It was stickers, stencils, paper, ribbons, little chalk boards in different shapes that could be set on a stand or stuck to the wall. I grabbed a dozen and dropped them into the basket. They would be perfect for place settings at Raine's wedding. The chalk was right next to it as well. The convenience. I looked over our list once more.

Glass bowl things that a little candle can sit in? Something cute like that.

I chuckled and snatched a reel of white and orange ribbon. That would be useful, I'm sure. It might have been a bit premature to be sorting out little bits and pieces like this, considering the wedding wasn't until next October. But Margo and I had learned that collecting decor and small details early on was a life saver later.

It meant there wasn't a big rush right around the corner of the wedding when bigger details needed attention, such as rehearsals and bachellorette parties, that sort of thing. Plus it was fun.

Margo and I did this together.

My fingers ran over the soft edges of a 3D velvet sticker. It was a rose.

"No we don't need this, Addie. Put it back."

"We might need it. It's not expensive. And even if we don't use it this time, we can keep it and I'm sure we'll use it later."

"We need to keep on budget, Addie."

"It's four dollars."

"You want it because it's cute."

"Yeah. Of cour—"

"Ma'am, can I help you find something this afternoon?"

I looked at the store clerk. He was wearing a pin striped apron and his name tag said Brenn.

"Oh, no thanks," I smiled and shook off the lingering sensation that I was over shopping. Margo used to think that she knew best, but I had ideas too. I put the rose sticker in the basket and kept on walking.

Half n hour later I put a full basket on the counter and smiled at the girl behind the cash register. She was tall, blonde with pale blue eyes and a little nose that looked too small atop her swollen lips. She smiled. "Hi, how are you today?"

"Good, thanks." I read her name tag. May. "You?"

She shrugged as she scanned items and dropped them into a paper bag. "The usual. Here til ten. School at seven. Good stuff."

I winced and noticed her manager glaring.

"Well," I looked at the clock on the register. "Just four hours to go. You can do it."

She looked as though she really wanted to smile back at me. Poor girl. I couldn't imagine that she was here for the hell of it. She must have needed the job.

She peered up and did a double take at something behind me and her entire expression morphed into elation. It was like staring at a different girl. I turned around and saw a tall, I mean tall, teenager walking toward us with a bag of food. He had lovely dark brown skin and dimples on either cheek.