Chapter Three: Nightmarish Family Dinners

They followed me into the house with a shocked, careful sort of silence. They were afraid to say the wrong thing and send me over the edge.

I was simply afraid they would say the wrong thing and send my father over the edge.

"So, Ariel, what grade are you in?" Lila asked, picking up her fork and spearing a piece of meat with it.

We had all taken our seats at the table. They were lucky we had an enormous table.

"Tenth. My birthday is in January, so I'm always the oldest in my grade," I said softly, looking at my father out of the corner of my eye.

He was eating silently, still mulling over the fact that there would be eleven people in one house once they did get married. It would make him pummeling me that much harder.

"Are you very smart?" Lila asked. She was the only one making an effort to make conversation. The boys were absorbed with their plates or with their phones.

"Not really. My teachers say I'm an idiot," I said softly. Lila chuckled before her eyes widened. She just realized I was serious.

"Well, um, my boys are very smart. I'm sure they'd be happy to help you out," Lila offered. I nodded, before looking down at my plate again.

"Lila, do all the boys live with you?" Father asked, his jaw ticking in irritation. Lila gave a soft smile.

"Yes. Jaydon and Ethan are in eleventh grade. Zander, Kade, and Lucas are seniors. Nathaniel, and Gabriel are going to the local college, but they live at home because we're close and cheaper than a dorm would be. Xavier works as a mechanic in a local garage and is working on moving into his own place," Lila explained in depth.

She really needed to shut up. Father was just getting angrier and angrier.

"How... Interesting," Father said gently. Lila beamed at his acceptance, but I could hear something vicious in his voice.

I guess the boys did too, because they looked up from wherever they were looking and glared at him.

"Who cooked this wonderful meal?" Lila asked after a moment of awkward silence. Father cleared his throat.

"Ariel does all the cooking around here. She's not that bad," Father shrugged off the compliment. Lila's eyes widened at his words.

"I can't cook for the life of me. Thank you for cooking, Ariel," Lila said. I was shocked.

No one ever thanked me for cooking before.

It was an odd feeling.

"I'm not very good," I whispered, moving what was left of my food around. The boys were either finished or three-fourths done. Lila too.

Father was simply picking at his food, displeased with what I had cooked for him.

"Ariel, clean this mess up," Father ordered loudly. I instantly got out of my seat and got to work. Jaydon, the youngest, watched me with narrow eyes when I went around collecting plates.

"Oh no, Ariel. The boys can help," Lila offered, halfway out of her seat. I shook my head.

Father would get angry.

"I don't mind the work. Idle fingers do the devil's work," I mumbled, working on getting everything into the kitchen. Lila chuckled.

"True, but they can still help. Anyways, Elliot and I need to talk," She said, winking at me.

Was that supposed to mean something?

I looked at my father cautiously. He gave a nod, so I nodded. The boys didn't exactly rush to help me, but they did pick up the napkins and their glasses.

"Here," Xavier grumbled, thrusting a cup into my hands. I laid it down in the sink gently. I couldn't afford the beating if I broke anything.

An awkward silence broke out as I cleaned everything up and got the ice-cream out to defrost.

"What's for dessert?" Ethan asked, obviously trying to make conversation. I pointed at the ice-cream.

Cookies n' Cream.

"Your dad's got you trained up well, doesn't he?" Gabriel snapped. I bit my lip to keep from uttering a sound.

They have no idea what you've gone through, I reminded myself.

"Yes, he does," Father bit out. The boys all looked at him, their eyes narrowing. Lila was at the table, quiet and thoughtful.

No bruises. No marks. No signs of fear.

Huh.

"Now, if you'll leave Ariel and I to talk, I'd be appreciative," Father said. In a second, all the boys were gone.

And I was alone.

"I didn't say anything," I whispered, instantly trying to defend myself. He nodded, a calming hand on my shoulder.

"I know you didn't," He said loudly. Then he leaned down to my ear, "Because if you did, I'd be very disappointed."

He was hissing this time. I felt the spittle hit my ear, and fought the urge to wipe it away. He would only get madder if I did.

"I... I have to get the ice-cream out," I whimpered. His calming hand suddenly tightened around my shoulder, squeezing it so hard I thought my shoulder would pop out of its socket.

"You do that," He mumbled. He slapped on a smile and then sauntered back into the dining room. The boys were absorbed in their phones and Lila was absorbed in my father.

I dished out the ice-cream, except not giving any to myself. Father didn't want me to have any.

We all sat there, silent and awkward.

They weren't family yet, but I had a bad feeling nothing I did or said would be able to stop the events that were about to happen.

But hey, at least I've got... Nightmarish family dinners.