Chapter Six: Just My Luck

Jaydon told Lila that we had talked all our problems out nine times. She simply laughed and told him he was a sucky liar. That we all knew. 

"Mom, come on! I gotta piss!" Zander yelled through the door. Oh yeah. No bathrooms, no food, no drinks, nothing. It wasn't so bad for me because i'd been in the same situation before, just in a lot more pain. But for the eight spoiled rotten boys in the room, it was a new and unfamiliar territory. 

"You better get talking then." Lila laughed. We heard her heels clicking away. We had learned two hours ago that she was completely serious about the situation. It was a horrible situation, really. 

"What now?" Jaydon asked quietly. Everyone just kind of shrugged and milled around. We already tried talking really loudly about nothing in particular, but Lila didn't buy it. It sucked to be us, she said. I didn't know what else to do. It's not like we were actually going to have a conversation with each other. The boys hated me, and I couldn't blame them. It seemed like everyone did. 

"We could actually talk to each other." Ethan suggested, sounding disgusted with himself for even saying something like that. Everyone, including me, looked at him like he was an alien. He just shrugged and went back to texting someone on his phone. 

"So, Ariel, what's your favorite color?" Jaydon asked. None of the other's were concerned with the conversation. I opened my mouth for a second before closing it. There were so many colors. How was I supposed to pick just one?

"Grey." I whispered. He cocked his head at me. Then he shrugged and continued on with his questions. 

"Any pets?" He asked. I shook my head quickly. I was allergic to animal dandruff. It was awful because there were so many puppies and kittens I wanted to cuddle for the rest of my life, and they made me sneeze so badly I couldn't breathe. Stupid allergies. 

"What about you? Favorite color and pets?" I asked quickly, before I could regret asking it. Too late. 

"Um, green I guess. It's the color of my eyes and it's been my favorite since primary school." He chuckled. The others seemed slightly more interested. "Our dog got put down when I was a couple years old. After that, everyone was so caught up in life we just couldn't take care of an animal like it would need." He explained. I nodded. 

"I like grey because it represents the fear right before courage floods into your life." I whispered. Jaydon seemed slightly taken aback. I didn't think that the conversation was supposed to go that deep in such little time. Whoops?

"Wow, okay. Makes my green seem stupid. What about favorite subject in school?" He asked. I thought about it. I did love math, but I also loved chemistry and literature. Oh, I almost forgot history and band. I shrugged. 

"If I had to pick, calculus." I smiled at the thought of finally being signed up for school after days and days of begging. It got me out of the house and gave me an actual purpose. Even if I got pushed around and my grades weren't passing, I got to escape. Plus, those bullies could never do the harm that my father could. They knew nothing about what I had been through. 

"I like literature." He smiled softly. I half-smiled back at him, anxiously twisting my fingers in my lap. I was sitting on the gray, almost velvety couch, criss-cross. 

"Why do you always do that?" Nathaniel asked, pointing at my fingers. I bit my lip and looked down at them. I honestly did it in fear of what I would do wrong next and the consequences of that action. But I couldn't tell them that. 

"It's just a nervous habit. I picked it up years and years ago." I let my eyelids slowly fall shut. There was silence for a second, before they started asking questions at rapid fire. I guess it only took getting them started. 

A couple hours later, we were laughing hysterically at a story Lucas had told about whipped cream, some black pepper, and a fan that had carefully placed glitter on it. The laughing didn't laugh long because Lila opened the door with a frantic expression. 

"Ariel, sweetie, can I talk to you for a second? Alone?" She asked, biting her lip. I smiled brightly and nodded. I waved to the boys, who had quickly become my brothers and earned my trust. It was amazing after all that I had been through, eight of the scariest boys I had ever seen were my closest friends and brothers to me. They smiled and waved, before getting out of their seats and doing whatever they wanted. 

Lila and I walked into the hall before she stopped and ran a hand through her hair. 

"Your father was in a car accident." She told me solemnly. I guessed from her reaction and how she wasn't sobbing mercilessly that he was fine. She really seemed to love him, for some reason or another, so I could trust her reactions. I put on my fake concerned, loving daughter mask as I covered my mouth with my hands. Tears came to my eyes easily. 

"Is he alright?" I whispered shakily. Dang, I was getting good at all this acting stuff. Lila nodded quickly, making a wave of 'relief' pass over my face. I know because I physically felt it. I had to make it happen instead of groaning. 

"He'll be fine, but the officer at the hospital said that he broke his leg and will be in a cast for awhile, but he'll be fine. I'm headed down there for now, but I think it would be better if you stayed here with the boys and got some sleep. School starts tomorrow, for you, you know?" She asked with a tight smile. I nodded forcefully. 

The last thing I wanted was for my father to simply have a broken leg. A broken neck would be nice. 

"That's a good idea. I'm gonna go shower and head to bed. Tell the boys I said goodnight?" I asked softly. Lila nodded, an understanding look on her face. When she was out of seeing and hearing distance, I shoved my face in my hands and groaned. 

Why was this just my luck?