Chapter Seventeen: Terrific

The days passed slowly. I was out of school, sick, for a couple of days. I hadn't heard from Kas or Jaydon in that time. I suppose Kas was still recovering and Jaydon was either being told to stay away from me, or was too ashamed to come visit me.

Everyone else did, though. All the boys, Lila, and even my father came to see how I was feeling. Actually, father only pretended to see how I was feeling. Once everyone left, he slapped me and told me to never do that again. To never miss dinner again. How funny is that? Missing dinner was what he was worried about when I was coughing up a lung. But at least he wasn't acting very angry.

I was going back to school. I was so ready to face the day... Just kidding. The last thing I wanted to do after spending days in my warm, comfortable bed having food and drinks brought to me, was go to school. With a bunch of rock-headed idiots that didn't know the difference between reciting Pi and eating it.

I groaned as I slipped into my dark skinny jeans. I threw on a warm sweater, made sure to grab my newly made key, and pushed my feet into some shoes. I walked downstairs, where everyone was rushing around in a flurry to get ready for the day, and calmly ate some toast. I grabbed my bookbag before starting my walk to the bus stop.

"And where do you think you're going?" Gabriel asked. I turned around and looked at him a bit strangely. Didn't he know where the bus stop was?

"The bus stop is by the end of the road." I said, pointing towards the door. It was too early for all this, so I was missing his laughing by a mile. What was so funny?

"It's freezing cold out there, and you don't have a jacket. Here, this one smells fine." He smiled at me, after taking a hoodie that was laying on the chair, smelling it, and thrusting it in my direction. I thought my sweater would be just fine, thank you very much. I did not need some 'smelling fine' sweatshirt one of the boys probably played some sort of sweaty sport in. Thanks but no thanks.

"Um, i'm good." I said, a slight frown of disgust twisting my lips. Gabriel looked down at the sweatshirt in confusion, before looking back at me. He then shrugged, threw the sweatshirt behind his head, and disappeared.

Did this mean that I could go...

Xavier, Lucas, Ethan, and Kade all appeared by the door. Kade opened his mouth, his head cocked adorably to the side, when Lucas interrupted him.

"Ari, you okay?" Lucas asked, looking me up and down in concern. I had fainted twice more when I was sick, and it made every boy in the house (my father excluded since I didn't really count him as a human being) go into freak out mode. Ethan had tried to call an ambulance for me once, but I woke up and stopped him. Then he told Lila, who told me I was going to the hospital. One negotiation later, I was in a doctors office and being told I had the flu.

Wonderful, am I right?

"I'm fine. Gabriel just vanished, but i'm pretty sure he wanted me to stay here for some reason." I said, trying not to sound impatient. I guess I succeeded because everyone there nodded and looked around for me. Zander walked into the room with Nathaniel, talking quietly.

"Ari, I found a clean one for you. Right out of Lucas's closet." Gabriel smiled victoriously, before handing me the dark blue sweatshirt. I considered it for a moment, then slipped the heavy material over my head. My hair frizzed up once I pushed the hood down, but I quickly ran a hand through my hair.

"I should have asked before I put it on, but you don't mind, do you Lucas?" I asked. Lucas laughed and smiled, shaking his head. I smiled back at him and rolled the sleeves down to cover my hands. What could I say? I apparently enjoyed way too big sweatshirts. Lucas's went down to my knees and covered my hands fully.