Chapter Sixty: Testify

"What? Are you insane?" Someone yelled.

Waking up early is pretty much the worst thing to happen on a Saturday. Waking up early on a Saturday to yelling is even worse. Especially since I was supposed to be meeting some officers about testifying against my father.

I leapt from the bed, ignoring the fact that I was in shorts and a sweatshirt, and rushed downstairs. 

There was Lila, the boys, and two officers who looked overwhelmed by the amount of people in the room. 

"Lila? What's going on?" I asked, my tired brain not computing everything clearly. Lila looked up at me with a gentle smile and pointed at the officers.

"This is Officer McNally and Officer Garcia. They're here to talk to you about testifying against your father." She said, glaring at the two male officers. I gulped.

I didn't know if I could give them the answer they wanted.

I wasn't sure if I could testify.

"Oh. Okay." I mumbled, slowing my steps. I didn't know what to say or do. The other officers were two nice women who went ahead and asked me questions but didn't push too hard at what happened to me.

I wasn't super comfortable with these other officers. I was pretty sure the only reason for that was the fact that they were muscular males who were wearing RBF's. 

At least, I hoped it was an RBF.

"Are you going to testify or not?" The officer snapped, looking tired of talking already. My eyes widened at his tone. I wasn't expected such an icy tone.

"I'm not sure." I whispered. The violent images of my childhood played through my head, pain filled memory after pained filled memory. And then there was my mother. That was a memory I didn't even want to talk about, much less think about. 

"It's a yes or no question." The other officer sighed, rubbing at his nose. I wondered if he had a cold or something, because he seemed to like scratching his nose. 

"No, it's not. It's a complex question that she needs time to answer." Lila snapped right back. The only difference between the officer's snapping and Lila's was that Lila actually managed to get results. She made the officers flinch back and nod vigorously.

Lila smiled kindly at them with a nod of her head. She pointed to the door.

"I think it's time you go." Kade said, coming over to put an arm around my shoulders. I leaned into his warmth. It was my own type of safety net. My brothers really were my rocks, I guess.

The officers fled from the house and Lila stormed to her office to make a few calls, fuming about how I'd been talked to. I stepped into the kitchen and started making a pot of coffee. I couldn't even think about seeing my father again without a butt-load of coffee running through my system.

"What do you think you're going to do?" Jaydon asked, sitting at the table. I filled two mugs, handing one to him before taking my own seat. I shrugged and traced the rim of the cup.

"I have no idea. I mean, me testifying would be major. It would put things into perspective for the jury, the fact that I was the one that was being beaten and tortured in my own home. But me testifying would also include seeing my father again. I'm not sure if I can do that without having some sort of mental breakdown." I explained softly, sipping my scalding drink occasionally. Jaydon nodded.

"We'll be here for you, no matter what you decide." Xavier said, moving over to the toaster. He looked at it in confusion for a second before turning towards me with a pleading expression. I chuckled.

"You guys are hopeless." I said, shaking my head with a smile.

Several batches of french toast later, the boys and I were stuffed. Lila even popped in an ate with us. She said that she had to fly to the UK because, apparently, the Queen wanted to meet her. I wanted to go, but Lila told me that she would take me with her next time.

Then I started thinking about it. Who the heck meets the Queen of England more than once? 

My step-mom was awesome!

"Jake, Carter, Liam, and Peggy are here. They kinda heard everything on the news and are worried." Ethan said, knocking on my door and stepping into my room. I closed my eyes and leaned against the headboard. 

"Do I have to talk to them?" I asked, groaning all the while. I didn't want to be rude, but I didn't have it in me to talk to anyone else that day. Even if it was Jake or Carter or Liam. I definitely couldn't deal with talking to Peggy.

She drove me up a wall most days. 

I wouldn't be able hearing her talk about how she just knew my father was an evil scumbag. I wouldn't be able to deal with her apologies either, which would only be for show. 

Gah, I just couldn't.

Ethan laughed at me. 

"Of course not. I'll tell them you're sleeping." He said and left my room, closing the door behind him. When was the last time I told him he was amazing? I needed to do that more often. 

I closed my eyes and thought everything over. 

Would I testify? Would I even be able to get in the courtroom? I was terrified of my father, which wasn't surprising. But I was terrified to the point where I wasn't sure the police could protect me. 

How could they protect me from a demon who always seemed to be hiding in the shadows? I didn't know if I could do it, but I knew that I needed to do it. 

Mrs. Wilkes said at one point that I needed to let all my feelings out. Needed to talk about everything that happened. 

I'm pretty sure she didn't mean talk about the abuse in a courtroom, but I figured it was worth a shot. I wouldn't talk about anything that happened to me without being forced, so I needed to force myself to talk about it. 

But could I face my father?

The boys would be there. They would make sure I was okay at every step. They would protect me no matter what. And Lila would be there too. I didn't think that anyone could get past that glare of her's. 

Even my insane father would realize that her intense glare was deadly. 

Speaking of Lila, I needed to tell her I decided. I was going to testify against my father.