Chapter Fourteen: Peaceful

I stayed in the girls bathroom for the rest of the day. I stayed there for three hours after school ended, wondering what I did wrong. Wondering what I did to deserve this life.

My phone buzzed again, notifying me that someone was calling again. I had already turned my phone on silent, but it still vibrated. So, I turned it off. Fifty-two missed calls, one hundred and seven texts. Kas had even called at one point, and she was the only one who I picked up their call.

She asked me where I was, told me everyone was freaking out. I told her I was fine, that I was still in the girls bathroom. She then said 'Okay' and hung up. The sting of that hurt more than almost anything else. Until the door opened and Kas stepped into the bathroom.

She had on a big sweatshirt and leggings, with a busted lip and fading black eye. So, no makeup.

"Hey." She whispered. I didn't know why she was whispering, she just was. I gave a half smile and briefly looked up at her. She sat down on the floor next to me, ducking her head so that she could sit under the sinks.

"What are you doing here?" I croaked. She sighed softly, letting the silence prevail for a good three minutes.

"I'm helping out a friend. I don't sit on public bathroom floors for just anyone." She smiled, looking at me for less than a second. I didn't know what to say to that. Friends? Okay.

There was nothing said, nothing to say. We just sat there in a peaceful, thinking type of silence. It wasn't awkward or unpleasant, it just was. There wasn't a need or a want to talk, to ask and then explain what I was doing here at six o'clock a night. Kas's phone started vibrating violently.

She looked at who was calling, before turning her phone over and leaning against the wall. I copied her movements.

"What are we doing here?" I asked. Kas looked at me and arched her eyebrow.

"Aren't you the one who's supposed to be telling me that? I mean, you were the one who vanished." She pointed out. I let my head fall against the dirty tiles behind me. It was uncomfortable, but I wasn't bothered.

"I don't mean here, as in the bathroom. I mean here, as in on earth. Why are we here? Why we born into families that hate us, with father's and mother's and brother's and sister's who beat us?" I asked.

Kas didn't respond.

I was thankful for the dark because I had tears rolling down my cheeks, thinking about my family. I was pretty sure Kas had the same though. Not like either of us could judge.

"I really don't know. You know, everyone here expects me to be Christian because i'm the perfect, All American Girl. But I can't bring myself to believe in some God who would do this to me. He knew what would happen, what the Devil would do to my father, but He still gave me to my mom." Kas explained.

I nodded, but I knew she couldn't see. I simply held out my hand, and she took it gratefully.

"I have no idea. I'm not sure what I believe in. I don't think I want to believe that this is all there is, but I don't want to believe that someone could do this to me. To us." I whispered back. She gripped my hand tighter, but I didn't mind.

Then I realized.

I was all she had. The only one who knew. The only person she could really be herself with. And that really struck me.

Here I was, pitying myself because of the situation I was in, but she had it worse. I mean, we both had it pretty bad. But I had Jaydon, who knew, and I had Lila and the boys to take care of me. She didn't have any of that. She only had me.

"Why are we in the bathroom, anyways?" She asked. I bit out a weak chuckle. I lifted my sleeve, and she pulled out her phone's flashlight. She didn't even flinch when she saw the purpling bruise around my wrist.

"Jaydon got mad at me." I explained. Then, the flashlight illuminated her wide and fearful eyes. She knew that people could change, could turn into people you never wanted them to be. I had changed when my father started getting worse with his beatings. I was sure Kas was the same.

"He did this? Oh, God. There really is no way out, is there? The world is just completely full to the brim of shitty people who have nothing better to do than hit those weaker than them." She sounded like she was choking. The flashlight went off and darkness enveloped us.

I loved the dark. It hid the rest of the world away, so that I wouldn't have to look until the sun came back around.

I also hated the dark. But the type of dark I hated was the dark I could always find in my father's eyes when he started to hit me. That was the type of dark that scared me.

"I don't think there is. A way out, that is." I said. I was slightly embarrassed about my late reaction but I felt like I had to say it. Kas let out a weak chuckle before jumping, as her buzzing phone scared her.

She looked at the screen before picking up.

"Hey, dad. Yeah, I know what time it is. I was... I was helping a friend out. Yeah, I know what'll happen to me when I get home, i'm not stupid. No! That wasn't- I wasn't telling you that you were stupid. I was telling you that i'm stupid, that... I'll be home in a couple of minutes." Her voice faded to a whisper at the end of her words.

I raised one eyebrow at her, waiting for her to tell me she had to go. She never did. She just kept on sitting next to me, silence wrapped around us like a blanket.

And for some reason, it was the most peaceful I'd ever actually been.