Chapter Four: Moving Out

One week later and all my bags were packed.

You've probably guessed; I'm moving. Well, my father and I are moving into Lila's house with all her sons.

I didn't say anything because I didn't want him to get mad, but I didn't want to move.

To New York. In the middle of the school year. Into a mansion with eight boys, one abusive father, and one step-mother who suddenly wants a girl in the house.

I was so screwed.

"Ariel, hurry up! The plane is taking off shortly!" Father screamed. I grabbed my duffle bag filled with clothes and shoes and ran downstairs.

Lila was the owner of Steel Inc. which was one of the biggest businesses in the world. She was also the second richest woman in the world.

I had no idea how my father got her to accept his proposal. Maybe blackmail?

The plane took off and landed, my father and I didn't speak to one another. Well, he yelled for me to hurry a couple of times.

But that wasn't out of the ordinary.

The taxi stopped in front of a huge, white mansion. I was a little excited. I could always run away from my father and never actually leave the house. He wouldn't ever find me.

This could be a good thing, I thought, my hands coming together in an excited clap. I looked down shocked; I couldn't believe I just did that. Then I looked at father, just to make sure he wasn't mad at my display of joy. He didn't look upset.

To say that I was completely fine with leaving my other house was a reasonable statement. The one thing I wasn't okay with was the family we were suddenly going to be living with. I did not want to have to explain the bruises and scars to someone else.

"Get out," Father growled, his door open. I clambered out of the taxi and rushed to get the bags, grabbing every single thing in the trunk that I could get my hands on.

We were walking to the door when father turned to me and put his meaty finger in my face.

"Remember the rules. No talking to anyone, always clean and cook, never ever have friends, and don't be a completely disappointing human being," Father snarled.

I looked at the ground. There was nothing else for me to do.

We were a couple steps away from the front door, when the big, white door opened. I gulped when I saw other, huge men walk out. They were laughing and tossing a basketball around with Lucas, who was smiling and laughing.

He looked like the laughing type.

But his smile dropped when he saw who was about to ring the doorbell. My father smiled gently at him. I didn't like how unnatural the smile seemed on his face. I was used to snarls and pretend joy, right before that fake happiness turned to bone-breaking rage.

What did Lucas do that I didn't?

"Lucas, son, can you show me inside? Ariel, would you please go somewhere?" Father asked, but I knew he wasn't asking me. He was only acting kind.

I slipped past Lucas and into the mansion. I wandered around for a while before I found myself in the library. I put our bags, and yes, I was still carrying my father's bags, on the table and started looking around.

Book after book, shelf after shelf. There were so many to choose from. Some in Spanish, Korean, French, Japanese, Italian, German, and Mongolian. I guess I only knew that because I could speak all those languages. Including ASL and English.

"What are you doing here?" Someone caused a frightened squeak to exit my lips when they snuck up behind me. I put a hand over my rapidly thudding heart.

"I... I'm sorry. I was... I was just looking," I said. Mentally, of course, I was cursing myself for stuttering in front of Jaydon. I didn't want to be weak in front of anyone else, even though I knew I would always be weak.

"It's alright. You can stay," He ran a hand through his hair. My eyes wandered back towards the door. "But only if you want!" He rushed, before grabbing a random book and nearly sprinting away.

I guess he was shy.

I looked around and pulled out a book that was in Japanese. It was called Forever Sunny. Well, this should be interesting.

I started reading it and actually got a chapter or two into it before Lila found me.

She sat down beside me and looked at the book. She was silent for a couple of seconds.

"You know Japanese?" She asked. I nodded quickly. She hummed. 

"Do you need something?" I asked. She bit her lip and then sighed.

"I guess not. I wanted to ask you about yourself but you don't seem like the talkative type. Jaydon's the same way." Lila smiled gently at the name of her youngest son.

She genuinely loved her son. Sons.

"There's not much to say about me. I'm not all that interesting." I whispered, proud of myself for not stuttering. Lila scoffed, not believing me. 

"I don't think that's true. I'm a firm believer that everyone has something interesting about them." She then stood up, put a hand on my shoulder, and then walked away. What was that about?

"Ariel!" Father called, probably searching for his bag. Unfortunately, I was the person who knew him best in the world. I knew how his mind worked, and it was a scary thing. 

I grabbed his bag, the book my nose was pretty much attached to, and sprinted down the hall to find him. I had to find him. 

I bumped into someone while running, knocking us both onto our backs. Kade was rubbing his back as he stood with a scowl. 

"Stop running, would you?" He asked grumpily. I couldn't blame him for hating me. Even I hated me.

"Sorry. I... I'm sorry." I whispered as I stood up. Father called me again. I could hear the anger in his voice. Kade pursed his lips at me before walking past me. I ran. 

Father was waiting in the dining room, two of the boys sitting at the table and eating. They were as far from Father as they could get. I understood completely. 

"My bag?" He asked softly. I knew it was because he didn't want the boys finding out that I had carried his huge bag the entire day. That wasn't something a caring, widowed father did to his only daughter that he loved more than life itself. 

That was what he wanted to look like, at least. 

"Ariel, i'll show you your room now." Father gripped my upper-arm tightly before dragging me out. 

He was going to kill me in a strangers house.