Chapter 1

Heath's picture at the side---------->

----------

Chapter 1

“Come on, Mom, we're late already!”

Heath grunted in frustration as he stood in the middle of the living room. He glanced at the mirror beside him, and smiled at his favorite t-shirt printed with the words I KNOW… I'M AWESOME. He pulled down on the hem, in denial of the fact that the shirt was starting to cling a little too tightly.

He brushed a few dark-brown curls from his forehead before his mother, Molly, walked in. “You left this one behind,” she said with labored breath as she dragged a bag behind her. She dropped it next to the suitcase at the foot of the couch, and exhaled. “Honestly Heath, I think you're glad you're leaving us for an entire year.”

Heath clutched at his chest in mock horror, glaring at his mother. “I can't believe you'd say such a thing!”

Molly shook her head and folded her arms. “And to Europe, no less. I still can’t help but wonder, how on earth did you get that scholarship?”

Heath sighed, having to repeat the same explanation for the sixth time in that week. “They sent a letter to school saying I've been accepted to Dollanshire College. The teachers checked it out, and they're legit. Now they're flying me over to finish my studies there.”

His mother frowned. “But why you? I mean, you're my son and I love you. But you're not exactly Einstein 2.0.”

“Thanks for the vote of confidence,” he drawled sarcastically. But he knew his mother was right. Academics had never been his strongest suit. “Honestly, I have no idea. But why give up free school right?” he replied, grinning goofily.

Molly shook her head once more, a strangely distant expression on her face. “You seem so much like…” she trailed off.

Heath sighed. “Dad.”

His mother’s visage changed to one of benevolence, and helplessness. “Heath, you have to understand-”

“I know, I know… He's very busy,” he muttered and nodded, knowing all too well that it was a lie. A well-meaning action on his mother’s part, but a lie nonetheless. But he didn’t let it bother him. Like always, he tried to put a humorous spin on things. “You know, you really should've ditched him when you adopted me.”

“Heath!” his mother hissed, slapping his shoulder, leaving him laughing his lungs out. “Johnny,” she called out in the direction of the stairs, her voice carrying to the second floor. “It's time to go to the airport, remember? That place where those plane-things take off? Where one of them will be taking your brother away for a whole year?”

“Okay, okay, no need to guilt me into it.” There was the sound of a door shutting, followed by footsteps on the staircase. A short, hooded boy entered the room, his dark hair only visible by the fringe hanging over his left eye.