Chapter 24

Chapter 24

“You're… Erebus.”

She smiled slyly. “Oh, I don't care much for that name. You should call me Jasmyn.”

“Brett!” Asuka yelled. She ran over to him, and saw the girl standing in front of him. She eyed the stranger warily. “Who are you?”

Jasmyn smiled. “Brett? What an unusual name. Though you're very smart, Brett. Is this your… girlfriend?”

“Yes, it is,” Asuka said, growing a dislike for the girl. “And I believe I asked who you are.”

“I am the bearer of Erebus' essence, Jasmyn.”

“Well then, you're the one we're supposed to be taking care of.” Asuka stepped back and wielded her machete. “Step away from him.”

Jasmyn laughed a sickeningly sweet laugh. “Your hopeless attempt of defending him is so sweet.”

“You have what you want,” Brett muttered. “Just stay away from her.”

“Like I said, your boy here is very smart,” Jasmyn said, staring at Asuka intently. “He's figured everything out.”

She narrowed her eyes at the Jasmyn girl. “What are you talking about?”

“Hey,” Jason called as he ran over with Lexi and Heath. “We finished them… off.”

Heath made a wolf-whistle. “Who is this pretty thang?”

“That's Erebus,” Asuka said. “Or Jasmyn, apparently.”

“Oh,” Heath said. Then a look of realization crossed his face. “Oh…”

“Good, all the demigods are here,” Jasmyn said, clapping her hands excitedly. “Now, I deduce that from your surprise in my presence, there’s something rather important that Brett here hasn't told you.”

“Which is?”

“Back in the forest, at your last encounter with the Paríes, I-”

“Last encounter with the what?” Lexi exclaimed.

The girl frowned, gesturing behind her. “The creatures you were fighting. They are the untouchables.”

Jason scoffed, leering at the girl. “We sure touched them.”

Jasmyn shrugged, unfazed. “No matter. They were merely a distraction from my real weapon. Brett.”

“What?” Heath exclaimed in disbelief. “Why the hell would Brett fight for you?”

She smiled, gesturing to him. “Because he's been taken over by the darkness I transferred into him.”

Asuka gasped and turned to Brett, who was heaving breathlessly. The wheels began to turn inside her mind. “That day we fought those things… When you stayed behind to ward them off, I knew something was wrong!”

“I thought I had… just imagined her,” Brett whispered, his breaths coming up short.

“And how real I turned out to be,” Jasmyn said, grinning incessantly. “And now there is just a single last transference required to turn him completely.”

“What gives you the impression that we'll just let you?” Asuka said, her voice gaining an arrogant confidence. They rest of them pulled out their weapons. Jasmyn shook her head and laughed. “It's pointless to bring those out; I shall be done with you in a matter of seconds.”